Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how fast can the weather change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question how fast can the weather change?

last sat in the semifinals i ran dead on my number 12.710 on 12.71 and being it was late in the night there wassnt very long between rounds about 15 minuts just to cool off so in the finals i was racing a truck that dailed 14.60 so we took off and i caught him around 1000ft so i got on the breaks hard and broke out at 12.63@95 where i usually run 109~110mph i was on the breaks hard. and the truck spun first and second gear very bad and still ran 14.61 on 14.60 i think that was pure luck. judging my 1000 foot i would have probably went like 12.47~12.48 somewhere around there. oh well
Old 02-11-2004, 09:38 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been bracket racing for years and the weather doesn't change that quick, however winds can pick-up/slow down a car by half-a-tenth or 1 full mph or more, which is why it's important to watch the wind. I've found my car will run about 4-5 hundredths quicker if I hot-lap it within 15 minutes of runs b/c of the transmission and rear end fluids being warmer than if it sits for an hour or more. Hot-lapping can affect other cars more dramatically for slower or faster runs.
If you really want to see if it's weather or other factors making you faster, keep a small weather station(can be bought at places like radio shack for around $20-30) or handheld weather station (tag for example) and make runs at normal intervals and then hot-lap the car with the only differences being time (if you can keep the engine temp, launch rpm, shift rpms the same) and see what happens. I log all my runs so I can always look back and see what the car does, that has helped me MANY times when dialing in late rounds with less time.

Good luck!

Derek