Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best header for these requirements

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 09:20 PM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best header for these requirements

I have searched and searched and read and read. Yet, I still have not gotten what I need to buy some headers. I thought if I laid out my requirements I could maybe get some good insight from you folks to the age old question - what's the best header.

I had the SLP LTs, loved the torque and sound, hated the clearance, the fit, and exhaust leaks. However, I can live with those. I sold mine and if nothing else will get them again in the race version this time.

I am looking for the best header for performance (best peak HP), that can be exhaust leak free (without welding everything), and that can easily be removed, be that KOOKs, FLPs, SLPs, Dynatech, or whatever. It seems to be the hardest thing to figure out which header is best. I want no emission fittings and no cats and need the y-pipe.

FLP and Dynatech SuperMaxx maybe the only ones that will help on exhaust leaks. The problem is I tend to take my car apart alot. It seems to be some kind of disease. I walk out to look at something on the car and the next thing you know the dash is out, or the engine is torn down to the block. So, I need a system I can easily remove. With the SLP LT and Y-pipe the connections were not that great and it took some work to fix the leaks. I realize that not all headers can accomadate flanges which I think is the best option for creating an exhaust leak free connection. Maybe I just need to have these flanges welded on by a shop.

I think the best in performance are the Kooks, SLPs, and maybe FLPS. I am not exactly sure since we have no true comparrison of systems.

Any comments are welcomed.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kooks, QTP ,FLP , PPC, thunder...etc will all be easier to install than SLP's and will give much better ground clearence.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also did not want to have to weld anything to the headers. When I bought my Kook's, I asked to have flanges welded onto the ends of the collectors. They cost an extra $50--$17 per flange and $8/ea for installation. They turned out REALLY nice. The flange is laser-cut from 3/8" thick SS plate, and TIG welded around the end of the collector. I am very happy with these flanges, as my other option was the standard flared tube with rotating collar type of flange, which would have cost $35 from Summitt and then I would have had to have them welded by a buddy at work. I actually bought those flanges, as they will be going on the end of my cats. There is absolutely no comparison to to the very high quality of the Kook's flange.

Matt at TTP handled it all for me, and he was very helpful in following up and making sure I got what I wanted with my headers. I guess that is one of the advantages of going with a 'custom' header like Kooks.

Chris
Old 02-12-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers of the same size that are made for our cars seem to make the same power. My Hookers were easy to install, they do not bang the floorboard or hang low, and I have no leaks though they are not welded. They fit perfect. Had to trim the aluminum fuel line shield a couple of inches to clear the O2 sensor. A two minute job. I am getting Kooks, only because I need a bigger header. But the Hookers were a good investment. But you will get 20 different replies lol.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:50 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why are you looking for best peak power, under the curve is where its at. my whole setup is flanged; jet hots, custom Y, and magnaflow. its a breeze to remove and never had any leaks.