Sponsored by:

To bolt or not to bolt!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To bolt or not to bolt!

Hello, everyone,
I just joined here, and maybe this subject has already been approached, but here is my deal: I have built many gen 1 small and big block Chevy engines. I want to know if it is really necessary to buy all new bolts for the LSX engines. I am building a LQ4, and I know all the literature says to buy new bolts for everything. The same statement was sometimes made for the gen 1 engines, but not necessarily true. The 6 liter I am building is a basic stock rebuild, stock bore, pistons,heads,etc. I hate the idea of shelling out nearly $500 for a handful of bolts to put it back together. I want to hear from the "hands on" guys who have actually built one of these engines, not the techie wannabee who read somewhere that "it has to be this way". If it really is necessary to replace them, then is there a better source than $500 worth of ARP? I gotta believe I am not the only guy who has issues with paying ten times the value for this hardware.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you need new head bolt for a ls1 ,$50 for a new set from TSP.you can't reuse the stock head bolts they are stretched to achieve the right torque.all the other bolts can be reused.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, in between the "reuse" option and the ARP option, there is the new oem option, which is not all that expensive.