Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C Shopping list. Help me before I order please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C Shopping list. Help me before I order please!

After reading for months and months on here and my budget of $3k I have decided to go with a Texas Speed H/C. I will be ordering next week. Here is what I have come up with/what I already have.

Either the 2.5 PRC 5.3 OR 2.5 LS6 H/C Package(Will call them to decide before I order)

MS3 or MS4 cam both @ 111lsa(will decide when I call them/same with PR length)

TSP Ported LS6 oil pump

$2,224.98

Deluxe Heads & Camshaft Bolt & Gasket Kit

GM MSL Head Gaskets

ARP head bolts

My valve cover and intake gaskets are shot which is why I'm going this route and not a cheaper gasket kit.

$403.99

LS7 Lifters $139.99

LS2 Timing Set $109.99

4x LS2/LS3 Lifter Tray 23.96

Total for above WITHOUT shipping $2902.91

Things I already have: LS6 intake/38# injectors/SLP UDP/Pacesetter Longtubes /TSP ORY/SLP Loudmouth Catback/AMW Catch can/Hawks crank install tool

Aside from a trunion upgrade to the rockers, dyno tune and maybe some katech rod bolts is there anything I am missing besides suspention/gears?

BTW this is just a fun street car. Cruising only on nice days. Track a couple times a year and maybe some highway fun. I would like to see 450RWHP staying with the LS6 intake but I realize that is not that easy.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get your *** moving, summers almost here. I would wait on ordering pushrods until you have the heads on. Then you could check for pushrod length. Also to make your job easier, I can send you a thread chasing tool to clean out your headbolt holes. It was 30 or 40 bucks, you can use it for free if youd like. I'm sure it would be 5 bucks to send it out. Use it and just send it back. (No fine Print). Do you already have the right tools available?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Greekey
Get your *** moving, summers almost here. I would wait on ordering pushrods until you have the heads on. Then you could check for pushrod length. Also to make your job easier, I can send you a thread chasing tool to clean out your headbolt holes. It was 30 or 40 bucks, you can use it for free if youd like. I'm sure it would be 5 bucks to send it out. Use it and just send it back. (No fine Print). Do you already have the right tools available?
Ha I know! A couple more months.. I will probably just order whatever pushrod they tell me. They have put so many of these packages together on stock LS1 shortblocks. If I were going with a cam or heads that wasn't there's then I would measure. I really appreciate your offer. I used one of the old head bolts with some of the threads removed as per LS1HowTo. That should be enough right? I'm going to use the Mc Donalds straw/vacuum and compressed air to be 100% sure I got all the water out. Already did the paper towel method. As for tools, I'm just going to borrow a digital torque wrench from a friend. I already removed the old crank hub. I'm pretty sure that is all I need.. right? lol
Old 01-31-2011, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are auto you are going to need a bigger Stall
Old 01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jebuzws6
if you are auto you are going to need a bigger Stall
I have a M12 6 speed with a monster stage 3 clutch.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Well now I'm not sure what I want to do. It's either the above or Ticks
Polluter H/C with as cast Trick flow 220's. Searching really netted me nothing comparing PRC 2.5 LS6's to the 220's. There was 1 thread but it got really off topic. Any feedback please?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Launching!

good list i am using the LS7 lifters too
Old 02-04-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SSmoked1
Well now I'm not sure what I want to do. It's either the above or Ticks
Polluter H/C with as cast Trick flow 220's. Searching really netted me nothing comparing PRC 2.5 LS6's to the 220's. There was 1 thread but it got really off topic. Any feedback please?
Between those two, I would go with the Trick Flow 220's. Those as cast heads are only about 10 hp off of the CNC 215's. I've done a lot of research on the Trick Flow 220 as cast heads, and have read nothing but good things about them. IMO, more power potential than the 2.5 LS6 heads.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Between those two, I would go with the Trick Flow 220's. Those as cast heads are only about 10 hp off of the CNC 215's. I've done a lot of research on the Trick Flow 220 as cast heads, and have read nothing but good things about them. IMO, more power potential than the 2.5 LS6 heads.
Yeah that's what I was reading. Here is what the Tick Performance heads and cam setup consist of:

Trick Flow 220cc "As Cast" Heads fully assembled with .650" Dual Valvesprings and milled .010" (~10.7:1 compression on a stock LS1 bottom end)
Tick Performance Polluter Camshaft
Yella Terra 1.7 Non-Adjustable Rocker Set
Hardened 7.500" Pushrods
Polluter Cam (24x/24x (.61x"/.61x") 112LSA)
All gaskets/bolts included
$2600

Upgrade to ARP head bolts $49.99
LS7 Lifters $109.99
Ported LS6 oil pump $114.99

Total 2,874.96 SHIPPED

Only thing I need to add is a LS2 timing set and lifter trays.($3008.91 with chain and lifter trays) Not sure what I want to go with now. I emailed Tick so I guess I'll see what they say. I wish there were more people running it so I could see different results. Tons of MS3/MS4/PRC LS6/5.3 info on this board.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

That looks like a pretty good deal. I personally think the Trick Flow heads are better, and if you get all that for that price, I'd do it. I really think you'll be very happy with the Trick Flow heads. Have you searched on here for those heads. Lots of happy campers.

Originally Posted by SSmoked1
Yeah that's what I was reading. Here is what the Tick Performance heads and cam setup consist of:

Trick Flow 220cc "As Cast" Heads fully assembled with .650" Dual Valvesprings and milled .010" (~10.7:1 compression on a stock LS1 bottom end)
Tick Performance Polluter Camshaft
Yella Terra 1.7 Non-Adjustable Rocker Set
Hardened 7.500" Pushrods
Polluter Cam (24x/24x (.61x"/.61x") 112LSA)
All gaskets/bolts included
$2600

Upgrade to ARP head bolts $49.99
LS7 Lifters $109.99
Ported LS6 oil pump $114.99

Total 2,874.96 SHIPPED

Only thing I need to add is a LS2 timing set and lifter trays.($3008.91 with chain and lifter trays) Not sure what I want to go with now. I emailed Tick so I guess I'll see what they say. I wish there were more people running it so I could see different results. Tons of MS3/MS4/PRC LS6/5.3 info on this board.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check this out:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...fast92-m6.html

You should be close to this
Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the aftermarket casting Trickflows over the LS6's for sure. 13.5 degree angle for the valves will net you more ptv clearance. In ur original post u mentioned Katech rod bolts. Unless your motor is high mileage already I'd steer clear of these and just don't spin the motor over 6500. If it were me I would get a custom cam made instead of the polluter cam. Something in the 230s range for both good drivability and under the curve power while still peaking relatively high in the powerband. I would also see about getting the heads milled some more to get ur compression up to 11.1:1 - 11.5:1 at least. That is easy power you are leaving on the table especially if you get a custom cam made with ptv clearance in mind you will have boatloads of space and easily more tq from higher compression. I'd substitute the yella terra's for comp cams trunion upgrade also. Stock rockers are engineered very well and are lighter on the tips than just about any aftermarket rocker and have been used on 1000+ rwhp motors with success for years. That alone would save you $300 prolly. Just my $.02..
Old 02-05-2011, 02:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Check this out:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...fast92-m6.html

You should be close to this
Ha yeah I read that one. That is a pretty sick setup. I don't have the money for a FAST right now or to have them ported but I would think 460 RWHP is realistic with some room to grow. I think I am going to go this route now.. still not 100% but...

Originally Posted by djfury05
Get the aftermarket casting Trickflows over the LS6's for sure. 13.5 degree angle for the valves will net you more ptv clearance. In ur original post u mentioned Katech rod bolts. Unless your motor is high mileage already I'd steer clear of these and just don't spin the motor over 6500. If it were me I would get a custom cam made instead of the polluter cam. Something in the 230s range for both good drivability and under the curve power while still peaking relatively high in the powerband. I would also see about getting the heads milled some more to get ur compression up to 11.1:1 - 11.5:1 at least. That is easy power you are leaving on the table especially if you get a custom cam made with ptv clearance in mind you will have boatloads of space and easily more tq from higher compression. I'd substitute the yella terra's for comp cams trunion upgrade also. Stock rockers are engineered very well and are lighter on the tips than just about any aftermarket rocker and have been used on 1000+ rwhp motors with success for years. That alone would save you $300 prolly. Just my $.02..
Yeah I didn't plan on spinning the **** out of the motor but just for peace of mind I suppose. This is a street car so I doubt I really would need to go past 6500. It's only got a LM1 for exhaust and the police around here will make sure I keep the RPMs low. I was thinking of getting a EPS cam with more under the curve power like you said but ever since I have been modding it seems like I have never been happy. I remember my first set of headers were shorties. Big mistake there... then my first set of longtubes are my pacesetters... still learning I guess. I have always wanted a big donky dick cam that makes peoples eyes water at stop lights and just plain out thumps. I think the polluter may not be the best choice for everyone.. might be right for me.