Anyone into remote control helicopters?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone into remote control helicopters?

I would like to get my 8 yr old a beginner helicopter for his bday. We got him one from Walmart that he liked and was getting it down by the damn prop broke when he took it outside and it bounced off the concrete. Does anyone know ifthe ones at a hobby shop are any stronger?
Old 02-02-2011, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Randy_S
I would like to get my 8 yr old a beginner helicopter for his bday. We got him one from Walmart that he liked and was getting it down by the damn prop broke when he took it outside and it bounced off the concrete. Does anyone know ifthe ones at a hobby shop are any stronger?
The hoobby shops have some good tranier ones. And yes there a little stronger . But not by much only good thing about the hobby shops are that they make parts to replace them . Also I would check out a pc game that the hobby shop sell called flight stimlator . Has helis and planes on it comes with a remote . And can tech u to fly step by step .
Old 02-02-2011, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got one of those little ones for x-mas. You cannot fly them in any breeze-ceilings fans must be off, a/c/heat can't be running, etc. Fun thou, love chasing the dog thru the house.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cambirdracing
I got one of those little ones for x-mas. You cannot fly them in any breeze-ceilings fans must be off, a/c/heat can't be running, etc. Fun thou, love chasing the dog thru the house.
Well Santa gave him one of the air hogs which was cool but I had to add more weight to the front to get it to do more than hover. I would get him a cool electric car but they don't hold his interest.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought one for myself after Christmas. It was a lot of fun, but it finally took a hard enough crash to kill one of the motors.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Teching In

This is what I started out with:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1250

Easy to fly, pretty durable and parts are available. it flies real good in and outdoors, just make sure the wind is not too bad. it flies like the little air hogs, not too challenging for the kids. I would highly reccomend it. its pricey, but you are paying for a good remote and electronics that can transfer to another helicopter or airplane.

I purchased mine from a local Hobby shop out in VA, but most places should have it, or be able to get the helicopter and parts, or order online and get parts online (may save a few bucks)

I used it for about 6 months and then decided to upgrade to the real deal RC helicopter. I have not flown one in a few years, but that Blade CX2 is a great starting platform.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Save yourself some grief and get a simulator. LEARN to fly on it, its easier to press reset than to rebuild a heli. It was expensive but it payed for it self since I got hand eye movements down.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 14SecV6
This is what I started out with:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1250

Easy to fly, pretty durable and parts are available. it flies real good in and outdoors, just make sure the wind is not too bad. it flies like the little air hogs, not too challenging for the kids. I would highly reccomend it. its pricey, but you are paying for a good remote and electronics that can transfer to another helicopter or airplane.

I purchased mine from a local Hobby shop out in VA, but most places should have it, or be able to get the helicopter and parts, or order online and get parts online (may save a few bucks)

I used it for about 6 months and then decided to upgrade to the real deal RC helicopter. I have not flown one in a few years, but that Blade CX2 is a great starting platform.
I have a Blade CX-2 and I love it. You can spend some coin on it though. I have all of the anodized aluminium stuff on mine. It's pretty easy to fly once you get the hang of it. Make sure and get the trainer sticks for it so you don't have to buy blades as much.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Teching In

yes, upgrades are definitely available, but not completely necessary. and trainer sticks are a great idea. they are like 5 bucks and will save some blades.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Take a drive out to Traders village and buy him one for like $25. They're the same ones you see the people flying in the malls, but they don't jack up the price like crazy.

I bought one of these for $65 plus a free hat at traders.
http://cgi.ebay.com/DOUBLE-HORSE-905...ht_2244wt_1139

Its large, but its a good beginner and replacement blades are cheap on ebay. IMO i think you should get him a smaller one and as he gets older build him up to a larger one.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:21 PM
Teching In

RANDY'S HOBBIES off 249 and grant rd. sells some good rc stuff.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

SYMA S107 its only 29.99 and very strong but its indoors only, the wind will over power it. http://www.xheli.com/newsy3chs1mi1.html
Old 02-10-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Get a Realflght simulator. It has helicoptors and airplanes that fly just like the real thing. Learn on it and you will be a real pro with the real thing. http://www.realflight.com/
Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

I used to be into nitro RC cars pretty heavily back when i was in my teens. you can try looking at www.towerhobbies.com
They have a ton of RC Helicopter in a wide range of prices. You could try looking for hobby shops in your area or I know there are some in Houston. They best thing about these type of rc heli's is the when you break a part is that you buy the individual piece instead replacing the whole thing. I'd look for a shop in your area so you have an enthusaiast to talk to more about the hobby. Hope this helps, Good Luck to ya

Jus to throw in to keep the site happy... I am in no way affiliated with any of the above mentioned companies. I was jus trying to pass on some knowledge to help you discover other means of finding what your looking for.

Quick Reply: Anyone into remote control helicopters?