Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Quick HID Question: Can I Do This?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Quick HID Question: Can I Do This?

can i take a low beam HID kit that I got from LEDgauges.com a pretty long time ago and reuse the 35w ballasts and hook it up to my fog lights after i get some new bulbs from DDM tuning and a harness (is there a cheaper place to get the bulbs/harness or is the DDM stuff worth the price?) to handle the increased electrical load?

basically, is the ballast specific to the application? low beam, high beam, fog light?

I have no idea if the ddm bulb connections will match up with the ledgauges ballast connections, if LEDGauges.com gear is compatible with DDM tuning gear. i read in a post 42 of this thread that all HID kits use the same AMP connectors, but I am not exactly sure on what exactly that means, so I thought I would ask.

Also, for anyone who has bought fog light HIDs from DDM Tuning, did the fog light bulbs come with the plastic plug and play connectors on the end or did you have to put some on there or cut the connectors off of the ballast and solder the wires together?

I think that will do it for now.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the connector is the same you should be able. I have an extra pair of ballast that I got for the fogs and they are the same as my lows
Old 02-03-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The connections should line up. The only problem is will the lights fit in your fogs, I know my h7's would not fit in the 880 slot
Old 02-04-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
If the connector is the same you should be able. I have an extra pair of ballast that I got for the fogs and they are the same as my lows
you are right, if the connector is the same i should be able to. and that is what i am trying to figure out from others' past experiences, if the connector is the same.

may i ask where you got your HID kit from? that is a good sign for me that the ballast for the lows and the fogs are the same.

Originally Posted by my bandit
The connections should line up. The only problem is will the lights fit in your fogs, I know my h7's would not fit in the 880 slot
I will be replacing the 900X bulbs with some 880 bulbs so that they will fit.

Quick Reply: Quick HID Question: Can I Do This?