Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine bay greasy need help on cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine bay greasy need help on cleaning

Im about to install my motor in a few weeks and my car is white so under my hood is covered in grease and old fluids. What degreaser or chemical can i use to make this cleaning a snap. I tried mean green and my grease just laughed at it. Any help please.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Go to a resturaunt supply company or store and find Uni-Kleen. Im a Chef and thats what we use at our establishment. Very potent make sure to wear rubber gloves and a brillo pad. Let it soak in the engine bay for 15 minutes and a little elbow grease should do the trick.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autozone engine degreaser, then power wash, any remaining stuff hit with brake cleaner or purple thunder
Old 02-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Use this

http://www.greenchoiceproducts.com/gruncl1ga.html

that is the Uni kleen
Old 02-03-2011, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

No offense black z but i dont think auto zone degreaser will stand a chance lol im a bartender so could try some stuff we have at work i never thought of that and id have to find a power washer somewhere i dont wanna tow my car to car wash there is got to be some good stuff you can buy somewhere i will also look the uni kleen up
Old 02-03-2011, 04:13 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be careful when using certain stuff,make sure you mix the correct amount of water with it,and be sure to rinse very well,I used engine bright,a water mix with simple green,and I used a brush tp
Old 02-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I also used a brush to get in some of the cracks and spots that are hard to reach,another thing I did that made it look a lot better was painted the plastic piece that sits above the windshield washer fluid,polished the brake lines,tb,valve covers,and a few other things and it came out pretty nice,
Old 02-03-2011, 10:53 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You must have some serious pissed off grease if Simple Green didnt budge it. I would do a good degreaser like mentioned and then get in there with some hot soapy water and dawn and wash that thing by hand.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by skeeter99
No offense black z but i dont think auto zone degreaser will stand a chance lol im a bartender so could try some stuff we have at work i never thought of that and id have to find a power washer somewhere i dont wanna tow my car to car wash there is got to be some good stuff you can buy somewhere i will also look the uni kleen up
Have you ever tried it? You have to let it sit for a while before spraying it off, and make sure the entire engine bay is covered with the foam. It's always worked for me (engine bright I think is what I used), even on super dirty engines.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gocartone
Have you ever tried it? You have to let it sit for a while before spraying it off, and make sure the entire engine bay is covered with the foam. It's always worked for me (engine bright I think is what I used), even on super dirty engines.
ill give one can a shot its cheap enough i have alot of build up on the stock k member thats going to be a pita!
Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

show some pics of the polished lines, I've been thinking about doing it myself.

Quick Reply: Engine bay greasy need help on cleaning