Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Broken turn signal switch (not bulb)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Broken turn signal switch (not bulb)

Hello everyone, long time no post!

Anyway, I've ran into an issue lately where as I don't have a turn signal anymore.

I am very OCD about using my turn signal even for turning in empty parking lots at 3 am. I have not had the time to fix it; it's been 2 weeks. I am tired of asking my passenger to wave outside to let other drivers know we're turning!

Has anybody ran into the same issue? The turn signal switch arm is completely dead. I can move it up and down, nothing, no resistance. The rest of the functions work though, cruise control, wipers, you name it.

Please tell me I don't have to remove the steering wheel.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You have to... remove the steering wheel. The lever is connected to the switch by a linkage in the column. The actual switch is also behind the wheel and completely surrounds the steering shaft. Once you have the wheel off, fixing the linkage is easy and the switch replacement is not too bad either.

Have you ever pulled the wheel before?
Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
You have to... remove the steering wheel. The lever is connected to the switch by a linkage in the column. The actual switch is also behind the wheel and completely surrounds the steering shaft. Once you have the wheel off, fixing the linkage is easy and the switch replacement is not too bad either.

Have you ever pulled the wheel before?
Thanks for your input! I haven't pulled the steering wheel before. I found a thread related to the same issue right after posting.

Looks like I will need to pull the airbag fuse, let it sit for a while, and remove the steering wheel using a steering wheel remover. Is that correct?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:55 AM
Save the manuals!

I have a draft post written with a procedure to take it all apart. I should have it up this weekend with pictures.

For special tools, you'll need a steering wheel puller and a steering wheel lock plate compressor. You'll also want to have some white lithium grease on hand to lubricate some of the parts in the column.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wssix99
I have a draft post written with a procedure to take it all apart. I should have it up this weekend with pictures.

For special tools, you'll need a steering wheel puller and a steering wheel lock plate compressor. You'll also want to have some white lithium grease on hand to lubricate some of the parts in the column.
Thanks a lot, greatly appreciated!

Have a good day.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Save the manuals!

Here's the tread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...l#post14470325
Old 02-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

/Same thing happened to mine and all i had to do was remove the cover below the steering wheel by your knees. Changed the turn signal flasher and that worked.

Do your hazards work?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Havok956
/Same thing happened to mine and all i had to do was remove the cover below the steering wheel by your knees. Changed the turn signal flasher and that worked.

Do your hazards work?
Yeah, they do. The turn signal lever is broken though, it doesn't click when moved, just sits there.

Quick Reply: Broken turn signal switch (not bulb)