General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Question about exhaust leak and header flange

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question about exhaust leak and header flange

So I think I might have an exhaust leak because of a faint tick that seems accentuated by throttle. 01 Formula with Dynatech headers that have been on the car 3.5 yrs. I was hoping it would be a little leak at the AIR gaskets but they looked ok and I didn't really feel a leak. I took a look and on the driver side header flange there seems to be some soot. But it is localized on the top of the flange in between of the primaries for cylinders 5 and 7 and it seems like the rest of the header was clean from what I could see from the top. Couldn't really feel the leak with my hand at idle. At any rate it seemed odd that the soot would accumulate in between the ports and not over them.

Does this seem like a problem with the seal of the gasket, head, and flange?

I know some guys have had problems with a loose plug causing a tick. There is a plug in that area obviously, but it is below the flange and I dunno that it could put soot on the top of the flange either.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you using the GM steel gaskets? If the soot is in on top of the flange in between the ports, It would suggest a leak, try checking for a leak when the car is first started too, may only leak until the exhaust gets hot and then seal up, My 69 did that, put those were copper gaskets.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It had the GM MLS gaskets as far as I remember.

I gave it a look over the weekend. Took the wires off and checked all the header bolts, the two AIR bolts and the plugs. None were loose. Also I noticed there was soot on the very top of the flange in front of 5... so it was actually in two different spots on the driver side. It turns out there is also a spot on the passenger side. Didn't have any new gaskets so I decided not to try to take it apart all the way. I haven't really noticed the sound... just the standard valvetrain noise. I don't know if some of this has to do with the temperature swinging all over the place here in Houston, but it is back down into the 30s again so maybe it might start again. I will probably end up getting a new set of gaskets and maybe bolts and replace them over the next weekend or so.

Quick Reply: Question about exhaust leak and header flange