Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Need some quick advice about bs vs. shortening rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need some quick advice about bs vs. shortening rear

Ok heres the lowdown- bought a set of jegstars 15x8 with M/T brand new 27x10.5 plus skinnies and ET fronts. Got the set for $600. Problem: the Backspace is 4.5. This started the mods I have had to do to get the set to work. Yes should have sold them and got somethi ng else, but already put the ARP wheelstuds on, spacers (front). Then had to order the Aerospace brakes so the rear Jegstars will fit. Anyway, I took my rear caliper off on one side to see how it looks, and when they were bolted ontight to the calipers, the rim and tires stuck way out. That's when I measured it and came up with the 4.5 bs. Anyway, I am ordering a Moser 9 for my car, and rather than just get new rims, I decided to order it shortened. My engine builder is an authorized Moser rep, and he said they will shorten it, but the minimum is 1.5 inches each side, not just 1 inch per side. My question is with it shortened 1.5 inches each side, will it fit with no hassles?? Most folks run a 5.5 bs with the 15x8 for the firebird or camaro. Mine is a 98 formula BTW. It looks like there is ample room between the tire and the bumpstop, so will I be ok? Thanks!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

I run 15X10 w a 4.5 BS with a -3"/side rear....so by my figuring- a 15x8 w 4.5 BS with a 1.5" narrowing/side...you wheels will sit half an inch further in than mine. Should work fine.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like it would've been much cheaper to just sell the wheels and buy them in the correct size, and ones that would fit over your brakes? A 8" wheel severely limits your tire choices as well.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaro396
Sounds like it would've been much cheaper to just sell the wheels and buy them in the correct size, and ones that would fit over your brakes? A 8" wheel severely limits your tire choices as well.
LOL I was thinking the same. But figured I'd answer his question...it will work. with the 8" wheel you are pretty much stuck with a 275/60 DR, or a 10" slick.

Quick Reply: Need some quick advice about bs vs. shortening rear