Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help....Anyone in Illinois know how to assemble T56?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help....Anyone in Illinois know how to assemble T56?

I bought a '95 Z28 that was in the begining stages of a auto to T56 conversion and the T56 had the tail housing off of it. The PO said that he did that to inspect the trans before he put it in. The T56 is out of a Trans Am. I started looking at it to put it back together and it looks like he had it apart more than that. Anyone near Central Illinois that has the knowlege and would like to help out a new guy?
Old 02-05-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start here:
Download the T56 Service manual: http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English...vice%20Manuals
Rebuild how-to thread:http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30484

It's not bad to do. It looks like a lot of parts, but once it starts going together it's all logical.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks 1madss, I looked these all over and I am in the middle of getting it back together now. I had the Helm manual already for my Camaro which lists the same information as the T56 manual you linked to. The pictures and writeup is what made me dig in. He had the roll pins out of the lever on the shift shaft that runs in the shift pattern plate and the shaft could turn all the way around, and you know what happens when someone turned it..... Now my only problem is I am missing two of those roll pins. Does anyone know if those are anything special, or are they standard size roll pins? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I you are in the Chicago area, you may call these guys: http://www.finishlinetrans.com/

They rebuilt my T-56 and did a really good job. One of the units they specialize in is the T-56 and I'm sure they would be good to hook you up with parts and high-performance replacements.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the info guys. The trans is back together and runs through the gears on the bench fine. 1madss, you were exactly right, after I got past the intimidation factor of tearing into a manual transmission, it was not very hard. I checked all the clearances, looked over everything and it really looked good. I have rebuilt all different types of engines and I am never afraid to tear into one, but transmissions have always been something I was scared of. Not any more, with the correct documentation, its pretty straight forward. Thanks again, and I will let you know when I get it and the engine installed.

Quick Reply: Help....Anyone in Illinois know how to assemble T56?