Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Crank/DLC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank/DLC Issues

I really some help from some experienced members. I bought my 1996 Trans Am about 3.5 yrs ago and have never been able to pull its codes. About a 1.5yrs ago I began having intermittent starting issues. It wouldn't crank or click, so my immediate response was to unhook the battery and reset the PCM. Low and behold she cranked.

The problem became progressively worse to the point that every time I needed to start my vehicle I had to complete that process. So, I soldered in the appropriate resistors, under the dash, and the problem was fixed(the starting issue that is). Recently, the problem has returned. Also, I notice a fluctuation in the WEATHER/TEMP will often temporarily correct the issue. Another possibly important information is the fact that my alarm hasn't worked in the last 2 or so years and I recently replaced my headliner and I think I failed to reconnect one of the interior lights, so none of the interior lights function. I want to get the entire VATS system tuned out, but I'm afraid I won't even be able to make the connection to my PCM.

P.S. CIG/ACCY FUSES ARE GOOD AND THERE IS A FUSE, INLINE WITH THE WIRING HARNESS, BELOW MY DASH THAT IS BLOWN, AS WELL AS AN EMPTY SLOT FOR ANOTHER FUSE RIGHT BESIDE IT.

Thanks,
Cody
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible somebody did an OBDI PCM conversion on the car before you got it? Then you would have to use an OBDI scan tool and ID the vehicle as a 95. The starting issue sounds like your BCM is not tripping the starter relay. You can bypass the starter relay and have the VATS turned off in the PCM. Here is link that may be helpfull http://www.shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I guess it's possible...I think the guy I bought it from said he had it dyno tuned and I know he made improvements to the tranny as well...I think your right about the BCM, do you think an issue with it could cause a break in the DLC?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Really needs some help here guys...
Old 02-08-2011, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

An inline fuse in the harness sounds like something added. It's going to be real hard to tell just what without following the wires out to see where they go. Impossible to know at this point if it might be affecting the DLC.

It also looks like you might have a BCM issue with the lighting problems you describe. It might be affecting VATS, too. Does the security light work?

You could pull your PCM and look at the service number and report back what it is, to see if it might have been converted. If it is OBD-I, then you would need a compatible scanner.

Some numbers you can look for:
93=16159278 OBDI
94=16188051 OBDI
95=16188051 OBDI
96=16214399 OBDII
97=16242921 OBDII
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Sorry about the delay, I'm almost certian the guy, who owned the car before me, put an aftermarket alarm on it...
Old 02-22-2011, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

If I am having trouble scanning my PCM does that mean I would also have trouble with tuning?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

First thing I'd do, is shitcan the a/m alarm system, and verify the integrity of the wiring...Who knows what he did w/ that install.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:05 AM
Teching In

The problem is more than likely the contactor on top of your steering column it is under the dash about half way down the steering column you will have to remove the cover with the trunk switch on it. Or just find the rod on the side of the steering column and follow it to the contactor. I be willing to bet money thats the problem because mine did the same thing
Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Teching In

O'yeah it is the rod that connects to the key switch, and when yo pull the contactor off it will probably break apart from being so burnt up
Old 02-25-2011, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by buglight56
The problem is more than likely the contactor on top of your steering column it is under the dash about half way down the steering column you will have to remove the cover with the trunk switch on it. Or just find the rod on the side of the steering column and follow it to the contactor. I be willing to bet money thats the problem because mine did the same thing
This is new to me. Are you saying the portion of the ignition that is directly linked to my lock and cylinder is dirty/faulty?
Old 02-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Teching In

with the DLC issue, are you not getting any power to the scanner/scan tool? or no communication? If all the fuses are good, and there is no power, short to ground sounds likely. if there is no communication with all fuses good, might be your PCM
Old 02-25-2011, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by THErobertH
with the DLC issue, are you not getting any power to the scanner/scan tool? or no communication? If all the fuses are good, and there is no power, short to ground sounds likely. if there is no communication with all fuses good, might be your PCM
It just reads Comm Err.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the DLC pin 16 bat+
pin 5 grd
pin 4 grd I'd check these

You need to check the PCM service number as Shoebox said OBD1 conversions are real popular on LT1 cars and not just any scan tool will read a '94 - '95 PCM

When you turn the key to run do you hear the fuel pump?
Old 02-26-2011, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

what are you trying to connect to your pcm with? If you have the cable and a laptop you can download TunerPro Rt for obd1 and it is free.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Where do I get a cable? All I can find are cables with the software.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
An inline fuse in the harness sounds like something added. It's going to be real hard to tell just what without following the wires out to see where they go. Impossible to know at this point if it might be affecting the DLC.

It also looks like you might have a BCM issue with the lighting problems you describe. It might be affecting VATS, too. Does the security light work?

You could pull your PCM and look at the service number and report back what it is, to see if it might have been converted. If it is OBD-I, then you would need a compatible scanner.

Some numbers you can look for:
93=16159278 OBDI
94=16188051 OBDI
95=16188051 OBDI
96=16214399 OBDII
97=16242921 OBDII
It's definitely an OBD II Vehicle...
Old 02-26-2011, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sreve
On the DLC pin 16 bat+
pin 5 grd
pin 4 grd I'd check these

You need to check the PCM service number as Shoebox said OBD1 conversions are real popular on LT1 cars and not just any scan tool will read a '94 - '95 PCM

When you turn the key to run do you hear the fuel pump?
Yea...I'll explain what happens. I go to my car, unlock the door with the key, get in, insert key into ignition, everything in the car turns on like it were all operating as it should, I turn the key and nothing. SOMETIMES I hear a slight click in the engine bay. The alarm system hasn't worked in 1.5 years, you think this has been the issue and does anyone have some advise on removing an aftermarket alarm? When the alarm did function properly it would set itself, even if I hadn't. Any advise is considered and appreciated. I want to love my F-Body again. Cause right now I wanna drive it off a cliff!! HAHA!
Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Observation: I notice that once I cycle the ground connection(batt) to reset the PCM, there is a time frame where I can start, stop and restart my engine without having to reset my PCM to do so. There is definitely a tie between when the PCM begins to throw codes(SES) and when I can no longer stop and immediately restart my engine.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flatbird
Yea...I'll explain what happens. I go to my car, unlock the door with the key, get in, insert key into ignition, everything in the car turns on like it were all operating as it should, I turn the key and nothing. SOMETIMES I hear a slight click in the engine bay. The alarm system hasn't worked in 1.5 years, you think this has been the issue and does anyone have some advise on removing an aftermarket alarm? When the alarm did function properly it would set itself, even if I hadn't. Any advise is considered and appreciated. I want to love my F-Body again. Cause right now I wanna drive it off a cliff!! HAHA!
Ok things get a little muddy after 18 posts.... You are in Houston with plugin emissions so the car is definatly OBD2. You mentioned in post 1 about communication problems have you pulled any U codes? P1626 VTD ?
You are on the right track with a malfuctioning alarm and a VTD with previous
problems you need to get rid of or repair either or both. Sent you a pm.

Quick Reply: No Crank/DLC Issues