General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Bad Water Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad Water Pump?

thought my issue was the thermo not opening but replaced it and even after 30 minutes of driving the lower radiator hose is cool to the touch, the upper barely hot and I dont get any heat thru the heater. I also get a squeaking noise that I thought was the accessory belt but it's nice and snug and the noise doesn't change if I squirt the hose with dressing.

I am thinking at this point the impeller must have failed. Pump does have 101,000 miles on it.

any other theories besides the pump.

oddly though after replacing the thermo and topping off coolant trying to purge all the air (thought that may have been my issue too) the car ran at 180 degrees but I am thinking the fans and 40 degree weather were the reason the car didn't overheat even though the pump isn't working right.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could drain some of the coolant out of the radiator, and then run the car, if you drain enough you may be able to see whether or not the the pump is pushing it through the system, I will admit, I have never heard of one failing like this, normally its just a seal that causes replacement. Are the fans staying on all the time maybe??? Weird.