LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Speedometer stoped working, after T56 rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedometer stoped working, after T56 rebuild.

Well,
I put my 97 Trans AM with an LT1 in the shop to get the transmision fixed. I had reverse, 6th and 1st syncros replaced. A new pilot bearing, polly tranny mount and new seals installed also. The guy at the shop (owner operator type) fixed all these things. BUT on his after install test drive he tells me he noticed the speedometer not working. He says he didnt remember if it worked on his first test drive before he ripped it apart. I told him it was working fine. He said he trouble shot it from the speed sensor to the ecm. I wasnt there so I have only his word to go buy. He claims he pulled the speed sensor and felt inside for "something" (not sure what it was as he mumbled) and I was a little hot at the time remember what the part or gear was called. But he claims that what ever he was fealing for was in there. Needless to say my fear is he jacked up and left something uninstalled. Although he knows the T56 well I dont want to take it back to him....once is enough. I have never worked on something, charged $825.03 for it....and returned the product jacked up. ALSO, I bought the car with reverse problems like alot of people have had, having to hold your hand on the shifter and applying preasure on it to keep it in reverse. So now when I go for reverse, you have to "slam" it to the rigt and then you can push up with ease for reverse. Before the fix, you could take the shifter right with ease, and then up into reverse with ease. That part you guys will have to let me know if thats normal on a new reverse gear and it will "wear in" or if its jacked up like my speed-o, and the ash tray lide that he forgot to memtion that he broke. NEVER AGAIN will I go back there....Savannah GA area owners beware......
So now I need the help from you guys on your guesses, trilas and errors. This is the FIRST work on ANY car I have ever owned that I didnt do my self. Thanks for reading and any help you guys help with.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the reverse issue it sounds like the reverse lockout is not unlocking. It may be unplugged. I would get under it yourself and check the plugs. He may have mixed them up or left them unplugged. If you were closer I'd look at it.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I will look in the morning at all the plugs. I am going to take them off one by one and clean them with some elec connector spray. If all else fails I will replace the VSS to morrow (or at least order one). I know I will have to start at point A and go all the way to point Z to find it. If I dont find it tomorrow I will have to use the GPS to judge my speed, not a big deal. I did reset the trip on the odometer and noticed that its still at zero. The shop is about 20 or so miles from my house. All other ECM and the BCM parts work fine, radio, mirrors, lights, ect....I know the odometer works with the speedometer, and neither work for now.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

UPDATE:
Today I put in a new speed sensor...no luck. Still not working. The wires look good at the plug, and they are the right colors per the schematic. Although they are only a few inches from the reverse lockout, the plugs are not innerchangeable. Two diffrent sizes. So thats two things I can rule out, along with the fuses. Unless there is a fuseable link that I cant see. Also noticed that each time I start the car now the cooling fans come on. Didnt do that before, I am sure of it. Seems like there may be an ECM issue. Now I need to find that bug.
Any ideas???
Old 02-07-2011, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

FOUND IT:
The driveshaft revolution speed sensor (see attachment) was not installd in the right spot. Although I wouldnt think its possible, the speed sensor was installed one nothch too high. But I got to say, the man stood by his work, and droped the tranny right there on the spot, "after hours" to fix it with no questions asked. He had the thing dropped, apart, fixed, and reinstalled in no time flat.
Attached Thumbnails Speedometer stoped working, after T56 rebuild.-10-remove-snap-ring-use-gear-puller-remove-speedometer-sensor.jpg  
Old 02-07-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ensure the speed reluctor is captured bewteen the two snap rings and your set.

Quick Reply: Speedometer stoped working, after T56 rebuild.