Print Wikipost

Clutch sticking to floor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch sticking to floor?

Specs: 1998 LS-1 Trans Am 6 speed

Hello LS1techies, I've been having problems with my clutch for months now. On occasion it will stick to the floor and I will have to pull up on it with my foot to bring it back up. When this happens there is little to no resistance on the clutch pedal, and pressing the clutch pedal will not disengage the clutch. I've noticed this happens especially when it's cold and/or rainy. I have also noticed every few days my clutch fluid reservoir is slightly low (1/4 inch low at most), and filling it back up and pumping the clutch several times usually fixes it and I can get going. Sometimes refilling the fluid does not fix it, and I'm stuck pulling over and pumping my clutch hoping it will work and I can get home. I am hoping this is a common problem with an easy fix because I'm dead broke right now.

Thanks LS1 tech!

-Derek
Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Teching In

You can bleed it but I'm pretty sure it's your salve cyl. There's only nine million forums about the same thing. Go out and buy a gm slave and a new master cyl. And install and bleed the **** out of it. If you have a Mitty vac that's the best way.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup,,If you want to fix it, replace the slave (100$) and your master may have bad seals also,,If you choose to stick with the stock master,(I have the TICK adj. master and it is one of the best mods I ever did but $) then do a lil searching on the Drill mod for your stocker, It will help. Most everyone will agree that the hydraulic clutch systems on our cars is barely capable at best, and a poor design. However if money is an issue start with a fluid change and a good solid bleed, there are a ton of posts on multiple ways to do this.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
8 Second Club

I hear alot of good feedback on the Tick Master.. I'm thinking about purchasing one myself. On my car, clutch and shifting is ok through low-mid rpms.. But at high rpms(Over 5200 on my car) you can barely pull it out of gear, then you can barely hit the next gear without pushing the shifter through the dash..This is on my stock master cylinder on my 98 Z28 with a centerforce dual friction clutch.. I keep bleeding the lines but no change in the shifting.

Last edited by GT_EATR; 02-07-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

I have a 100 bucks that says its your master cylinder. Mine does the exact same thing, i'm gonna get a tick with my tax return. The reason i don't think its the slave is because mine has about 5,000 miles on it... still sticks to the floor. I'm hoping that a new master will be just what the doctor ordered.

You could try the "drill mod" do a quick search it might help! if you're tight on money I'd start with that.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:24 AM
Teching In

I have this same problem. I am super low on money- do you think this $62 master will work as good as a GM part?
http://www.car-stuff.com/2002chevrol...ercylinder.htm the valeo one?

Last edited by ls1evan; 02-17-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Launching!

How can you tell if it's the slave cylinder or if it's the master cylinder going bad?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:32 PM
Teching In

The slave cylinder ended up being the culprit. She's fixed up now. Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Clutch sticking to floor?