Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pilot bearing help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation pilot bearing help!!

I went and picked up a pilot bearing for my project, and I gave the Oreilly's guy the GM part number and this is what he gave me:

In looking online, all of the bearings I see with this part number have internal needle bearings like this:

Given that the one I got does not have needle bearings, should I be concerned?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What motor? What GM Part number?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That would be a pilot bushing, not bearing.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either one will work
Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a bushing, They have used bushings since the 50s, however this century we have advanced and use bearings. You will always hear the debate over bearing vs. bushing. Here are a few facts, the bushing is softer and will wear before the input shaft of your trans, that is the only pro of the bushing. it is a fact that the ID of the bushing is larger than its bearing counterpart, meaning the bearing will provide more stability to input shaft movement. the bearing was installed by GM to provide multiple years of trouble free service. The bushing is ok if you r&r your trans regularly, but if you dont, Then put the bearing back in, take care installing your trans, and you dont have to worry about it. You can buy the bearing at atozone for like 13 bucks, you prolly paid about 4 for that bushing,,,theres another clue.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RARON455
That is a bushing, They have used bushings since the 50s, however this century we have advanced and use bearings. You will always hear the debate over bearing vs. bushing. Here are a few facts, the bushing is softer and will wear before the input shaft of your trans, that is the only pro of the bushing. it is a fact that the ID of the bushing is larger than its bearing counterpart, meaning the bearing will provide more stability to input shaft movement. the bearing was installed by GM to provide multiple years of trouble free service. The bushing is ok if you r&r your trans regularly, but if you dont, Then put the bearing back in, take care installing your trans, and you dont have to worry about it. You can buy the bearing at atozone for like 13 bucks, you prolly paid about 4 for that bushing,,,theres another clue.
Thanks for the info. I'll go pick up the bearing.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Plenty of people have had the bearing grenade on them. The bronze bushing will work fine and you can't screw it up when you reinstall the transmission. I had 2 bearings disintegrate. I run the bushing now.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kenp
Plenty of people have had the bearing grenade on them. The bronze bushing will work fine and you can't screw it up when you reinstall the transmission. I had 2 bearings disintegrate. I run the bushing now.
Yep my thoughts exactly.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I have seen a stock bearing literally grind itself up after 100k normal street miles under stock trans/clutch conditions. Perhaps 100k is about their usable lifespan.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only problem with bushing is you might get 10kmi out of it?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bushing recently saved my bacon after a major foul up on my part. I didnt have one of the dowel pins between the trans and bell housing engaged, which resulted in a trans that could rotate on the one dowel that was engaged. Instead of blowing the bearing apart and tearing up my input, it wallowed out the bushing until it started to make noise, prompting me to tear it apart. Ide rather replace that bushing 10x than replace my input shaft.

Of course...had I not screwed up when I put the trans back together it wouldnt have been an issue either way. When I got my car, and changed the clutch, the previous owner had a stock bearing in it...and it was rusted all to heck and was crunch. Thats what made me go to a bushing in the first place.

J.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Banned

That bushing is oil impregnanted and should last the life of the clutch.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

I would use the bushing. The input shaft is only spinning inside of it while the clutch is disengaged anyway, so it's not like it's constantly being used.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Banned

The bushing or bearing should last a very long time. If they are failing its usually because the transmission is NOT centered with the engine because of misaglinment. The manufacturers don't always gets things spot on and iff the pins are drilled a little off and the holes are a little off it can add up to ALOT. This will wear the pilot bearing out fast, I've run into this a few times.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

the clutch pilot bearing with needle bearings works fine if the clutch input shaft is lined up correctly, lasts longer than 100k miles also.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Folks, the Keep It Simple Stupid principle is at play here.

There isn't anything that can go wrong with the bronze bushing. IF there is a problem, the bushing will sacrifice itself whereas the bearing will chew up your input shaft and spit it out.

The other, very expensive option is a delrin bushing.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

Talking

A Tremec trans uses a tapered roller bearing on the input shaft and a pilot bearing (when the bell housing is properly aligned) and will hold the input much more accurately and stable than a bushing. For example the Muncie input shaft uses a ball bearing front bearing which by nature allows more lateral movement and a bushing is better suited because they last virtually forever. Also the Muncie input shaft is not case hardened to the same specs as newer transmissions and the pilot bearing can in some cases wear the tip of the input shaft. Some of the newer Muncie aftermarket input shafts are hardened but which ones I can't say. The .005" specification is necessary for both applications but a Muncie or any transmission with a ball bearing style front bearing will tolerate much more of an out of alignment situation than a tapered roller bearing.Tremec recommends the bearing.If you buy a Keisler, TKO the warranty is voided if a roller bearing is not installed.I would use the needle bearing, add a little tab of grease and you will be fine for your application.

Quick Reply: pilot bearing help!!