Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 RX7 (slow going project)

Old 02-06-2011, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 RX7 (slow going project)

Well just so you guys know this is the first time i have ever done anything like this, its going to be a serious budget build and its going to be a slow going project, i'll be happy if i have it done by this time next year.

But anyways here is what i got; i found a 1988 Mazda Rx7 rolling chasis for FREE!!! The guy said he paid $100 for it and got it for his son as a project car, they got the rotary motor going but never finished the project, his son moved away so he just wanted to get rid of the car, he kept the motor and trans for a dune buggy project that he is working on.

My plans as of right now will be to put a L33 5.3L ported 243/799 heads, TSP 228 cam, and either a ported LS6 or fast 92/92 intake, all going to a T56 trans. I'm wanting to get some where around mid to upper 300whp, if i can break 400whp with that setup then thats even better!! I plan on swapping out the stock rear end for the TII setup also. The body is going to need a little bit of work, it has some dents and you can see where the guys son tried his hand at bondo but its all fixable. The worst part is probably the interior, the bezel around the speedo is held together with duct tape and its missing most of the trim peices and has no carpet in the front, but its does have leather seats that are in very good condition, lol, The sunroof works and all the glass looks great also.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good luck. Looks like you got a decent builder there. The base models are excellent platforms to start with.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice project, always good to see more lsrx7's coming together.

Whats up with that shifter, i thought you said it didnt have an engine/ trans in it?

Also, what kit do you plan to go with?
Old 02-07-2011, 11:55 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Looks like it is time to get busy man!
Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Nice project, always good to see more lsrx7's coming together.

Whats up with that shifter, i thought you said it didnt have an engine/ trans in it?

Also, what kit do you plan to go with?
Those pictures were takin before he pulled the motor and trans out. This weekend i'm gonna start cleaning up the interior and get somemore pictures, also might start working on getting some of the dents out.

Not sure yet on which kit to go with, probably the granny's kit, i've heard that one will put the t56 shifter in the same location as the stock one, but i've still got somemore reading to do before i decide. I really want to get most of the body work and interior done before i start with the drivetrain.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Resident

I have the granny's kit and Im not extremely happy with it. You'll have to cut your tranny tunnel a little to get the trans up but that could be the case with everyone else too.

Check out norotorsdotcom if you haven't already. Pez, a sponsor there, has a kit that looks much better.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

I just smacked mine with a hammer and clears good. The old trans mounts need to be cut out but you'd have to do that with any kit.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1+ on pez kit
i have it and its awesome
Old 02-10-2011, 06:20 AM
On The Tree

Already signed up on norotors and have been doing a lot of reading, once it finally warms up here i'm gonna start on removing wiring for things that i'm not going to need anymore. Also i have seen some people using c6 vette pedistals for the engine mounts, is there anything specail i have to do with these, and is it any cheaper then just using the Pez kit? thats one thing i haven't had a chance to look into yet.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

You need those along with the pez kit I believe.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WeeWolf
I just smacked mine with a hammer and clears good. The old trans mounts need to be cut out but you'd have to do that with any kit.
Yea i thought that would work but didnt feel like pulling the engine/ trans back out.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

No real update, today was the first day that i actually got to mess with the car at all. Its extremly dirty right now, i'm going to sand it down sometime soon, get out as many of the dents as i can and either go primer gray or primer black for now, haven't decided which yet.. Anyways i pulled the carpet out of the back found a giant mud dober nest under one access pnl and then found an absorbant pad under the other. Now i've been wondering why i could smell gas every now and then, so i moved the absorbant pad and found that the access pnl to the gas tank was gone... thats something i would of liked to know before hand... Also i plan on making something to seal up that hole in the tank for now and then drain out all that nasty gas, do i need to do anything to the tank to protect it while it sits waiting for the car to get finished? Or will it be ok just draining it and leaving it?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

And i know she looks horrible right now, i'm starting with the interior and body work trying to get that stuff looking better before i start getting the motor together. I at least have to make her look decent so the wife and stop complaining so much about it being at the house, lol.

I kind of want to remove the factory gauges and install after market speedo, tach, fuel, etc... this may be a dumb question but remember i'm new to this so take it easy on me, can i still use the factory wire harness for those gauges or do i have to remove all those wires from the harness and just run them individually? whats the best way to do this?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Luck.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

After pulling apart somemore of the interior this weekend i've realized how brittle the plastic is inside of this car, mounts were breaking just from gently removing screws.... So i've been thinking about trying to make some fiberglass replacement panels but i've never worked with fiberglass before. Anyone have any tips? I know its going to take alot of time and work to do all of that and that is fine, i have no problem with that.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Good luck. Take your time, it gives you something to do anyway lol. I have had my car for about 2 years and it is just nearing completion. I pretty much neglect it during the summer b/c I am busy w/ work that time of year.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tx98Formula
After pulling apart somemore of the interior this weekend i've realized how brittle the plastic is inside of this car, mounts were breaking just from gently removing screws.... So i've been thinking about trying to make some fiberglass replacement panels but i've never worked with fiberglass before. Anyone have any tips? I know its going to take alot of time and work to do all of that and that is fine, i have no problem with that.
You can buy replacement plastic parts at www.mazdatrix.com
Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

Good luck with your build! I would have done an RX7 like that if I didn't settle on swapping my 240.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by devlmaycry
Good luck with your build! I would have done an RX7 like that if I didn't settle on swapping my 240.
What year 240? I really like the 240's also, it was between a rx7, 240, or a s10 for my next project, but the rx7 had the best price...free!!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem with my dash, just fell to pieces. Luckily the same guy who bought my factory drivetrain and wheels had a dash for me that should clean up nice. Maybe you could find one locally too.

Ill let you know if I decide not to reuse those access panels you need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 RX7 (slow going project)