Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Extremely slow PSI drop

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Extremely slow PSI drop

So I am experiencing an extremely slow drop in air pressure, about 1/2 psi per day. It's really annoying. I have changed valve stem inserts and tried to find a leak using soapy water. I suspect that I have some corrosion/debris leaking air through the bead of the tire. I have knockoff Y2K Corvette wheels and Pilot Sport Cups if it matters. The local chain tire shop didn't find anything obvious (big surprise), but they wouldn't let me into the shop to see the wheels/tires for myself. Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have them dismount the tire and have them use a wire wheel to knock off any corrosion/rust, then use bead sealer on both lips of the rim. Fixes the problem 99%of the time unless its severe enough to the point where the wheel needs to be taken to a repair shop.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Have them dismount the tire and have them use a wire wheel to knock off any corrosion/rust, then use bead sealer on both lips of the rim. Fixes the problem 99%of the time unless its severe enough to the point where the wheel needs to be taken to a repair shop.
hitmans right on the money but to be sure fill your tub up and air your tire up to 55-60 psi and dunk it. it will be easier to see air bubbles under water