Will insurance cover this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will insurance cover this?

This isn't my first post here but I forgot my display name and pw (hard drive died)
So my car is dead, pretty sure I threw a connecting rod because there is a pretty big crack in the block right above the oil pan below the #8 cylinder. The only thing I can think of is that it hydrolocked. The car always runs smooth and for a sport car I baby it. The other night I left it outside it rained pretty hard and when I woke up I went to move it into the storage building. When I started it the thing shook like crazy immediately and before I realized what was happening I heard a metallic pop and the thing started tapping like crazy, I shut it off and looked under the car and there was a decent sized puddle of oil under the engine. When this happened I am 100% sure it was not freezing out. I towed the car back to the building before it got any colder. The next day I took off the throttle body and looked inside and sure enough there's water in there. I don't know how it got in but it's in there and it did some damage to say the least. I'm going to call my insurance soon as I get a chance now that I know water is to blame. The biggest thing I am worried about right now is, will it be covered. I have everything covered except for collision. Does anyone think this could be covered under my comprehensive coverage as flood/water damage? It's such a bizarre thing to have happen I wonder if the adjuster will even believe what happened.
My car is a 01 SS ls1 128k mods: lid, k&n filter, dyno tuned w/ maf delete, SLP cat back, 3.73 gears If any of that stuff matters.

Just found this thread, sounds exactly like what happened to me;
https://ls1tech.com/forums/florida-m...erday-rip.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...yesterday.html
The oil pan pics look exactly the same as mine does, even the first scenario..
Like I said before do you guys think my insurance will cover it? I'd just like to hear it would be covered before I make this nerve racking call to my insurance company?

Last edited by LS1GoBoom; 02-08-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 PM

I'm hoping it will be covered since they cover idiots going through too deep of water in parking lots
Old 02-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Teching In

They'll cover it, but I'm almost positive they'll total it with that many miles on it...
Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

short answer...no. they will tell you that it was caused by this that and the other that insurance does not cover.

long answer...maybe. you may be able to convince them that is was from water getting into the engine because of other drivers. and the weather that we had over the last week. but i think this will be a big fight with state farm if you really pursue it.

GL.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you were driving it and run in too high of water and hydrolocked it that would be covered. But the car just sitting and when you started it, it through a rod. I doubt they will cover it. I have had cars that both Senarios happened to.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Push the car in a ditch that full of water then call them.... LOL
Old 02-07-2011, 12:50 PM
EW1
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
Push the car in a ditch that full of water then call them.... LOL
That sounds like a plan, that is what I would do. You are living in tough times.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by EW1
That sounds like a plan, that is what I would do. You are living in tough times.
I was actually considering saying I was driving through some shallow water when it happened. Any one else agree saying I was driving it when it broke would better? Y'all really think it will be totaled out too?
Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1GoBoom
I was actually considering saying I was driving through some shallow water when it happened. Any one else agree saying I was driving it when it broke would better? Y'all really think it will be totaled out too?
Not really something I would ask/put on an open forum for and Insurance company to see...
Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah yeah....commit insurance fraud...yeah yeah! (sarcasm)....no, just tell them what you know. They will have an appraiser check it and determine whether its covered. If you push it in a ditch, and they find the motor DIDN'T hydrolock, you're gonna have some 'splaining to do!

A little moisture in the intake isn't gonna cause a hydrolock. Unless it was in water up over the wheels, the intake on an LS1 is high enough to prevent any water getting in.. My uninformed guess is you had a crappy stock oil pump crap out like what happened on my (and many others) '98 model LS1's.

Good luck whatever you decide...
Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM

100% sure water got into the intake there is a puddle about an inch deep in the back of the manifold, its not oil or any other fluid (not coolant either). I don't want to tell them I already looked. I'm going to wait until they get an adjuster to discover it with me.
@Bad Chad I'm planning on removing the earlier posts, at least anything that links it to me. My car could be an 01 ss as far as any one else could know. Not trying to be a dick, just saying.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 AM

Well when the adjuster comes out I'm going to tell them it died in the driveway. The insurance company was good to a friend of mine who did something stupid.
Answer me this though, how does it work if they decide to total out my car? I heard from someone they take the car. But when my buddy's was totaled they let him keep it. Then another friend of mine totaled his and when they tried to take it he managed to buy it back for $600 or something like that.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Launching!

the insurance company will always sell you back the car most of the time, just ask them what the buy back price is and haggle with them. buy it back and use the insurance money to put a new motor in it thats what most people do when insurance totals them out.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 PM
On The Tree

I hope they cover it for ya man. I'd be honest about it, cause if they find out you purposely put it in a ditch they'll hang ya for it. not worth it. Good luck though man
Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm hoping the best for you but if its parked in your driveway and you say "it wont crank", the automatic response is going to be "your policy doesnt cover mechanical failure"

I sold auto insurance for years (and hated every minute of it) and if you claim it hydrolocked, you better have a specific time, place, and weather occurance to point to. Adjusters look at weather records to make sure the date/time you give matches up - they also know what roads had water over them and approx depths.

The quickest way to get your claim denied is to say "I dont know when or where it happened but my car wont run/start". They have to have some storm or bad weather to blame and a specific area where water would be able to get up into your intake

Insurance companies arent out to deny every claim... but at the same time, they're not going to allow you to pull some random day out of your *** and write you a fat check just for the hell of it
Old 06-05-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

any updates?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Interested in updates as well. This is what happened to my last motor to the letter, but insurance wouldn't cover it.

Quick Reply: Will insurance cover this?