General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 99 Camaro Sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 99 Camaro Sputtering

When I first bought the car about 2 1/2 years ago it would very very rarely skip and sputter under light throttle. Just recently since I cleaned my air filter and checked the MAF sensor to make sure there was no garbage in it and i cleaned it out.

Later that day I was driving a good distance from my house about 40 miles and it started acting really funny. i know the wave plate in the trans needs to be replaced but I dont think it would cause this issue.

When I give it light throttle it just sputters and acts like too much fuel is being dumped in. When I give it over half throttle it acts like nothing is wrong at all. but when i let out of it it and give it light throttle it starts doing it again. When it first started doing this I would give it over half throttle and it would clear up and then when I drove normal it had no problems. It has now gotten worst. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas besides spark plugs or wires or O2 sensors. If that's what you think it is please let me know. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Ttt.....
Old 02-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

I had similar issues as you on my 99 too but @96k tho..
thought my fuel pump took a shyt on me..

at first I did the same thing as you still nothing fixed that sputter issue.
I changed plugs,wires and fuel filter fixed my problem

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-s...ngk-plugs.html
Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same problem with my 02 z28 and i changed the MAF sensor and clean the computer. It sounds like a misfire thats the next thing i have check
Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

my 99' did it before mine cam swap when they replaced my wires and plugs and new maf
Old 03-03-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Update on the situation. I looked at my airlid and found the wiring harness that plugs into the drivers side was a little loose so I plugged it back in and my hard shifts automatically went away. That was a relief. Now what it does is when the car has cooled off and I go to drive after a certain amount of time it just feels like it is being flooded with fuel. After I drive a couple miles it clears up and I have no more problems what so ever. The engine light flashes when I do this as well and then when it clears up the engine light quits flashing. But it acts like it never happened. IDK what it is just runs like crap for that short period of time. I dont think it would be O2s because wouldn't it happen all the time?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Still no luck...anyone else have any ideas.

Still the same exact way... drive it down the road everything is beautiful then it just starts running like total crap skipping and shuddering...then it clears right up like nothing is wrong and won't do it again until the vehicle cools off and starts to be driven again.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
Still no luck...anyone else have any ideas.

Still the same exact way... drive it down the road everything is beautiful then it just starts running like total crap skipping and shuddering...then it clears right up like nothing is wrong and won't do it again until the vehicle cools off and starts to be driven again.
You said you cleaned the MAF out.....what do you mean? Did you touch the inside tiny wires of the MAF? You may have damaged it. And if this problem only happens when the engine is cool (not up to operating temp) thats when the MAF is running things. After the engine reaches or gets close to operating temp, the MAF turns off and does not come back into play until you go WOT. Or, another cold start.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
You said you cleaned the MAF out.....what do you mean? Did you touch the inside tiny wires of the MAF? You may have damaged it. And if this problem only happens when the engine is cool (not up to operating temp) thats when the MAF is running things. After the engine reaches or gets close to operating temp, the MAF turns off and does not come back into play until you go WOT. Or, another cold start.

I appreciate your response. I know I was very careful when cleaning it to not touch them. Let me ask you this though. If it is running really bad and I give it over half throttle and the computer tells the transmission to downshift it runs great. Anything close to flooring it it it doesnt run bad but light acceleration it is fine. I appreciate your help again
Old 03-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I appreciate your response. I know I was very careful when cleaning it to not touch them. Let me ask you this though. If it is running really bad and I give it over half throttle and the computer tells the transmission to downshift it runs great. Anything close to flooring it it it doesnt run bad but light acceleration it is fine. I appreciate your help again
You could have a failing 02 sensor. When one is going out it will give you partial throttle power loss problems, but when you give it more pedal it will usually clear up.

Can you go somewhere to get it scanned while the engine is running to see how the 02 sensors are switching?

Another thing that causes partial throttle power issues is clogged fuel filter or dirty fuel injectors. Under heavier throttle though, those clogs can be overcome by increased pressures.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Im having the car scanned today to tell me what the issue is and im hoping it will pinpoint 02 sensors. I had my car on my lift the other day and noticed that I still have 4 02 sensors on my car. I have no cats at all and long tubes.

Main question is are all 4 of the 02 sensors going to be the same or the 2 in front different from the 2 in the rear? Also is there any kind of dummy plug I could put in place to make the computer think I am running the 2 rear 02's ??? What did you guys do to delete the rear 02 sensors. And can I run the dummy plug for all the 02's

I appreciate the help

Last edited by Docrocket1967; 04-21-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 04-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Teching In

I am also having a sputter problem with my ta it is a 99 it has headers exhaust intake i just put new wires plugs and fixed the vacumm leaks it still sputters i also changed all o2 sensors it says it is running to lean i also replaced the fuel filter and air filter i am stumped with this i can not figure out what is causing this sputter any ideas that could help me out would greatly be appreciated i also checked all fuses.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Any ideas ????
Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im having the car scanned today to tell me what the issue is and im hoping it will pinpoint 02 sensors. I had my car on my lift the other day and noticed that I still have 4 02 sensors on my car. I have no cats at all and long tubes.

Main question is are all 4 of the 02 sensors going to be the same or the 2 in front different from the 2 in the rear? Also is there any kind of dummy plug I could put in place to make the computer think I am running the 2 rear 02's ??? What did you guys do to delete the rear 02 sensors. And can I run the dummy plug for all the 02's

I appreciate the help
If you don't have cats and all four sensors are plugged in, you should get a SES light for that unless your car was tuned. I'm guessing you didn't install the LT's or bought the car after they were installed? You can get o2 "sims" for the rear o2's. You can't get dummy o2's for the fronts unless your car is tuned for Speed Density. Did you purchase the car with LT's? Did it get tuned when the LT's were installed? There are quite a few things that can cause sputtering. Take it to someone who can read what's wrong with it or change plugs/wires/maf/fuel filter and o2's and you still may not fix the problem.

Quick Reply: LS1 99 Camaro Sputtering