Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock under hood fuse box question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock under hood fuse box question

I have a pretty stupid question that has been bothering me for a wile, I am looking at this fuse box that distributes power to a lot of stuff but the only power inputs are a couple of 12 Ga wires how can this be? I would think there would be a large wire going into the box as it powers the headlights and fuel pump ect.

thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jetback73nova
I have a pretty stupid question that has been bothering me for a wile, I am looking at this fuse box that distributes power to a lot of stuff but the only power inputs are a couple of 12 Ga wires how can this be? I would think there would be a large wire going into the box as it powers the headlights and fuel pump ect.

thanks
More details bro, Car? year? etc....

Bozz
Old 02-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

the fuse box (under hood) came from an 02 silverado along with my LQ4 and its going into a 73 nova. I did not think the application was important because I assume this fuse box is similar to most others in modern cars and I am using it like stock.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There should also be a lug on it that gets connected directly to the battery with a larger (maybe 6 or 8 gauge wire).
Old 02-08-2011, 01:17 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If its from a truck, looking down at it, you will see three spots to bolt down wire, Stud 1is top left and stud 2 is top right. Those are for power going out. If you look down to the side of stud 1 you will find another post. This is the main feed for then entire fuse panel and on stock trucks with the fuse panel mounted right next to the battery you'll see about an 8 ga wire coming from the battery to that post. Most wiring diagrams I'm looking at call this the supply for the B+ Buss bar which routes under the fuses connecting everything in specific orders. Stud 1 is main feed for electric fans, stud 2 is a feed for the interiour harness and if I'm not mistaken the main feed for the abs pump wasthe number 2 as welll. Make sense? or did i just confuse you more?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

awesome, makes perfect sense, I wondered what that socket was for (on mine its a socket not a stud, I guess the battery wire screwed in there). I got so caught up trying to do the "3" wire hook up that I missed where the power was supposed to come from. I want to run my electric fan and some other stuff off the fuse box but did not trust the dinky wire to handle the juice. i will hook it up the right way and have a whole bunch of powered fuses to mess with.

thanks (next time I will just pop the hood on a random truck and take a look)

Quick Reply: Stock under hood fuse box question