Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t-56 shifting problems(reverse)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t-56 shifting problems(reverse)

hi, i have a 1999 t/a ws6 and sometimes have shifting trouble when coming out of reverse. it has reverse fine but when it is taken out of reverse to go into first it almost seems like it is jamed between reverse and a forward gear. shifter still moves(feels kind of spongy) but will not come out of gear. if i put it in neutral or any other gear it just stalls. but if i go back into reverse it will back up as normal. if i play with it enough it will eventually come out and shift normal. it dosen't do this all the time, kind of a hit and miss. has anyone else had this problem. any help would be greatly appricated.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 PM
TDP
FormerVendor

I would take the shifter off and maybe even swap with another and see if the problem persists. If its not the shifter, then chances are that its something on the 5-6-R shift rail is damaged which is causing it to hang like this. In this case , you'd need a rebuild.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Teching In

i am currently waiting for a new hurst shifter to come in that i ordered. i have a pro 5.0 shifter in now, and it was in the car when i bought it. i have also ordered a new sleeve/bushing that goes where the bottom of the shifter sits in the transmission. when this problem happens my shifter almost feels loose.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like something is wrong with the 5/6/R shift rail. Its possible the snap ring at the end of the shift rail for the Rev fork could have broken off.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Teching In

is that snap ring o on the shifter side or is it up internally in the transmission. thanks.