Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a flowmaster be reversed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can a flowmaster be reversed?

I know that it clearly states inlet and outlet...
But I got a 40 series Deltaflow with a 3" center inlet and dual 2.5" outlets which would substantially clean my installation if I were to use the pipes coming off the manifolds into the oulets and then a single 3" pipe running south.
I would like to do this rather than using a "Y" pipe and then into the muffler.
How much power would I lose if any?
This is going underneath my '69 C-10 with a stock 4.8 meant for efficiency and economy with only a "Superchips style" tune.
Just thinking as I do not want to buy another muffler, call me cheap, but I call it using what I have at hand.
Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Flowmasters work on the sound cancellation theory, not the absorption theory so in a word - no.

By reversing the muffler all the baffles would be facing the wrong way and it would be very restrictive. Would it physically work - yes, but if fuel economy and even a remote bit of performance is what you are looking for I would say spend the $90 and get one that fits your application. You could even sell the one you have to someone that could use it to offset your cost.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As said before, no you cannot do that with baffled or chambered muffs.

Get rid of the flowmasters or sell them as they will be loud and restrictive. They are known as "dronemasters".

Get you a straight through design muff with no restriction in the path way of the exhaust:
Hooker Maxflows $69
Hooker Aerochambers $74
Dynomax Ultras $74
Magnaflow $80

So between $140-$160 a pair.

Sell the dronemasters for $100-$120

and you would have paid $40-$60 for a better performing muffler.

This is an area I would not be super cheap on but $69-$80 is very cheap for a muff besides a Oreilly or Autozone Thrush muff....lol

Bozz
Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a new in the box Edlebrock 2.5 in dual inlet and single 3" outlet that I would be willing to sell at a loss if you are interested.

Drop me a PM if you are interested and I will send you the specifics. The exhaust shop ended up selling me a shorter unit and I never returned this one.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are concerned about where the offset exit comes out, just flip the muffler upside down(flowmaster logo facing up) to switch it.

Quick Reply: Can a flowmaster be reversed?