Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with exhaust

I need some expertise plz. I have an 02 firehawk that im wanting to put headers and exhaust on. From reading and researching many have said that kooks or QTP LT's are the way to go. It was said between those two LT's, they tuck under the car better than any other. I plan on lowering the car another inch inch and a half and would like to run borla exhaust and cut out the cats and egr. What would be the best size of the tubes i.e 1 3/4, 1 7/8. Id like to the get the most outta just an exhaust mod as possible. Plz help thnx
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

All sounds like 'opinion' questions & comments, so your replies may be all over the road.

Opinions & azzholes, everyone has one & sometimes they stink, ...

Those two brands are the most costly, but yet widely respected as quality systems.
No EGR on the 2001-02's, so maybe you are referring to the AIR pump system?
Borla, ..., meh, ...

1-3/4" sufficient for most bolt-on mod's.
1-7/8" only required after heavy mod's like increased injectors, power-adders, big-flow heads, cid increases, etc., etc. So unless you plan on lots of other engine mod's in the near future, ..., 1-7/8" may not be necessary.

Be aware, it may be beneficial to add tuning to the list, to get everything you can out of these mod's, & that would be an easy way to update the O2 system so you don't get any SES codes.

Location is also key, becasue of some State guides & checks.
Where ya located? Any requirement for sniffer tests, etc.?!?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You gotta throw American Racing Headers into the mix when talking about quality headers for these cars. I sent a set of QTP's back to WS6 Store because you could see holes when you shined a light thru the welds on the collectors and bought the first set of ARH they sold. I am not the only one to have this problem. Used to be some threads about it in external. ARH has REALLY nice Y pipes too.

BTW this thread should be in external....
Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, BBK LT headers tuck-up really good !
Yeah I know they don't compare to Kooks, QTP, or ARH, but when maintaining ground clearance is equally important the BBK LT headers are worth a look.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:53 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree the bbk have good ground clearance but in no way would I go bbk over kooks or arh,I went down the cheap header road and will not do it again lol,but there was some good info said about the size of the headers,good luck man,I would go arh over qtp
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Regardless of which headers you get, IMO get them ceramic coated to cut down under hood heat.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:47 AM
Teching In

Appreciate it! Here's what i wanna do exhaust is pretty main priority right now with an x-pipe, idk how well thats gonna work with the car being lowered. The y pipe is ground low enough. I gotta throw frame extensions in and put some rotors and brakes. Basically I want this car to take turns like no other and have power up the ***. What kinda exhaust y'all recommend? FYI michigan refrains from exhaust sniffers. The possibilities are endless.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry buddy but lowering 1 1/2 inches is gonna make it ride like ****. These cars have very limited travel to begin with, so reducing it 1 1/2 inches will negatively effect the handling. Call up Sam Strano, tell him you want the car to handle like a MF, and let him set-up a spring/shock/swaybar package for you. Then your car will out-turn most cars on the road. He has only won like a zillion autocross championships.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:38 AM
Teching In

what would be recommened if borla is a,...meh hah
Old 02-26-2011, 02:17 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
All sounds like 'opinion' questions & comments, so your replies may be all over the road.

Opinions & azzholes, everyone has one & sometimes they stink, ...

Those two brands are the most costly, but yet widely respected as quality systems.
No EGR on the 2001-02's, so maybe you are referring to the AIR pump system?
Borla, ..., meh, ...

1-3/4" sufficient for most bolt-on mod's.
1-7/8" only required after heavy mod's like increased injectors, power-adders, big-flow heads, cid increases, etc., etc. So unless you plan on lots of other engine mod's in the near future, ..., 1-7/8" may not be necessary.

Be aware, it may be beneficial to add tuning to the list, to get everything you can out of these mod's, & that would be an easy way to update the O2 system so you don't get any SES codes.

Location is also key, becasue of some State guides & checks.
Where ya located? Any requirement for sniffer tests, etc.?!?
A lot of good info in this post

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
You gotta throw American Racing Headers into the mix when talking about quality headers for these cars. I sent a set of QTP's back to WS6 Store because you could see holes when you shined a light thru the welds on the collectors and bought the first set of ARH they sold. I am not the only one to have this problem. Used to be some threads about it in external. ARH has REALLY nice Y pipes too.

BTW this thread should be in external....
Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Agree the bbk have good ground clearance but in no way would I go bbk over kooks or arh,I went down the cheap header road and will not do it again lol,but there was some good info said about the size of the headers,good luck man,I would go arh over qtp
Thanks guys, I couldn't have said it any better myself.

Shanol18 if you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.