LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Faded Trans Am tail lights.. Anyone ever pull them apart to repair them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faded Trans Am tail lights.. Anyone ever pull them apart to repair them?

Hey there. The tail lights on my Formula have some de-lamination going on. The black part of the Tetris-scheme is faded in some areas and whatnot. From my understanding this is a common problem. Is there any way to pull them apart and somehow adhere the tetris piece? Any help would be appreciated. I am too cheap to buy other tail lights for $200+. Thanks!

PS I searched and did not find what I was looking for, thanks.

Last edited by 1badzee; 02-08-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you search for companies to do it? It's tuff because they are glued together arn't they?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a post where some one fixed them, don't have the link off hand. He used a template and painted the out side lens over the black.areas with nite shade, then tinted them, looked good, but with out the tint looked kind of goofy.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha.. Hmm. I was thinking maybe if I separated the outer lens/cover, I would somehow remove the black plastic/tetris piece and clean the outer lens, then somehow glue the black piece back on it using a thin uniform film of clear glue or something of the sort..
Old 02-08-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there tried that..........it was junk once I got it apart
Old 03-04-2014, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Old Topic but thought it was worth mentioning that I managed to trash my lenses trying to get them off.

Tried acetone, tried heat and cold, tried being gentle.

The big problem is the curve towards the outside of the lamp gets very stressed while prying and attempting to separate the lens from the checker/honeycomb. The lens also is seated below where the reflector strip goes and that also makes separating the epoxy very difficult because you can't even get in there with a credit card or shim or anything.

I would think by now reproduction lights would start being made for these cars. Nobody has them from what I can see and all the how-tos don't issue the root problem of the delamination. I have seen some suggestions about drilling drain holes but it would be nice to really be able to reseat and reglue the lens to the rest of the assembly.

For the time being, I am still waiting for a guy to ship a set I bought on eBay but in the future I would be very interested in a set of repro's.

The only other option I considered was trying to see if one of those companies that does 3D printing could make some new ABS plastic lenses. Its far-fetched but hey, who knows?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
Old Topic but thought it was worth mentioning that I managed to trash my lenses trying to get them off.

Tried acetone, tried heat and cold, tried being gentle.

The big problem is the curve towards the outside of the lamp gets very stressed while prying and attempting to separate the lens from the checker/honeycomb. The lens also is seated below where the reflector strip goes and that also makes separating the epoxy very difficult because you can't even get in there with a credit card or shim or anything.

I would think by now reproduction lights would start being made for these cars. Nobody has them from what I can see and all the how-tos don't issue the root problem of the delamination. I have seen some suggestions about drilling drain holes but it would be nice to really be able to reseat and reglue the lens to the rest of the assembly.

For the time being, I am still waiting for a guy to ship a set I bought on eBay but in the future I would be very interested in a set of repro's.

The only other option I considered was trying to see if one of those companies that does 3D printing could make some new ABS plastic lenses. Its far-fetched but hey, who knows?
That sucks...Believe it or not, Classic industries has finally started reproducing 4th Gen restoration parts....only thing that sucks is only the regular plain Firebird tail lights are available...no grid Which makes little sense...who out there in there right mind is restoring V6 models?!?! That, and they are expensive as hell $439 a pop

http://www.classicindustries.com/199...rts/g6204.html

Mine too are delaminated in spots, I went the cheap route and just put some blackout covers on them....they look much better than the stock ones in poor condition IMO...and far cheaper: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sh.../firebird.html

You can still see my brake lights just fine through them by the way. I put another pair on my Firehawk because I hate the honeycomb tail lights, and they look even better on a black car....very stealthy and sinister looking

Quick Reply: Faded Trans Am tail lights.. Anyone ever pull them apart to repair them?