Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help deciding on 4L80E options (manual VB, TB etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please help deciding on 4L80E options (manual VB, TB etc.)

The time has come to create "help to decide" thread again I'm doing a lot of reading on auto trannies but it's so new I still have a lot of questions so I need some help.
I decided to switch from M6 to 4L80E on my 383ci turbo (TC76). Eventually plan to squeeze some most of it, so probably around 1000hp. I daily drive it in summer and take it to the strip often, so it has to retain good street manners and no 8mpg mileage. I'm not after Mercedes-like comfort but wouldn't want to rev it to 2500 just to take off in traffic.

So here are few questions:
1) do I really need transbrake? tracks here are not prepped very good, often no glue even. And I know TB shocks the tires like dumping clutch, so more chances to just spin badly. On the other hand, it helps to build boost off the line, but I guess 2-step helps too? So do I need TB?
2) what are benefits of manual VB? if the PCM doesn't play stupid and change gear when I'm going sideways at 4000rpm, then I don't really need it?
3) what stall converter should I get?
4) if PCM controls tranny by putting voltage to some solenoids (or it's not that simple), then is it possible that I retain auto valve body, but make some kind of box that would force to change gears, perhaps via steering-wheel mounted paddles or smth.?

Thanks for you opinions
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

1. yes transbrake is nominal to get stall speed up with a footbrake you will not be able to hold it against the converetr without power braking.......having a TB means you have toi learn you vehicle and where it like to leave at just beacuse you have a 3500 stall and a TB doens mean you have to leave at 3500rpms just an example of course
2. A manual VB allows you full control of the trans during the run lets you change shift points from run to run to optimize your 1/4 time
3. between 3500 and 4000 seems to be the sweet spot for the LS motors make sure you geta good converter and not a mickey mouse knockoff
4. the solenoids are actually grounded by the PCM and given 12v constant and I am pretty sure most of the VB kits allow you to retain auto operation also Jake may want to chime in on this one as he has been working with this for a while.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. I would...with a 2 step you can tone it down. I think you are actually better off having a TB because you can use the full potential of the suspension (if you footbrake it, you take up some travel when going up against the footbrake).
2. I'd do an auto tune, you could always setup the tow-haul mode to act exactly like a full manual, and leave the normal mode to full auto shifting.
3. Find a good converter company and let them decide for you
4. You could....you have 2 solenoids controlling 4 gears...it could be weird trying to remember which of the 2 switches does what.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for replies
Yes I'm sure transbrake is great to have, but it's about $500 and I am not sure I will be able to ever leave at high rpms, because of bad tracks. See what I mean?

Predator, I always race with my laptop so I could alter shift points quickly.

Originally Posted by slow67
2. I'd do an auto tune, you could always setup the tow-haul mode to act exactly like a full manual, and leave the normal mode to full auto shifting.
Could you please explain that, about tow-haul mode? what is it?

I'm reading good things about Circle-D, probably this or Yank, PTI, or Jake I guess they are all around $900?

Maybe someone already have developed such box to override PCM commands? It would be really nice to have paddles on the steering wheel like modern sport cars
Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

if your gonna drive it a lot, yes to auto control-i dont drive mine much, but when i had it with a man v/b, got to be a pain everytime i stopped
a man 400 wasnt to bad, but that extra gear in a 4L80E added up
i went back to full auto
i used an FTI converter, im sure the others are good, but i liked talking right to the man (Greg) about it
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I'm leaning towards normal auto... Just trying to plan the best setup I need/could get. I have no problems with stick but just don't see any real benefits in it. Maybe in drift only
Old 02-09-2011, 08:39 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Ground out the pin for tow/haul mode for 1 second.
*Most* PCMs I've tuned have a manual hold gear 1st and 2nd...they will stay in 2nd as long as the shifter is in that gear.

For 3rd, command the shift to shift to 3rd immediately, same for 4th.

It wont shift to 3rd until the shifter is in 3rd, and for 4th, there is no oil to shift to 4th, so it waits until the shifter is in 4th gear to shift.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for being dumb but what do we get by doing this? I've searched a bit and what is called tow/haul on trucks is "performance mode" on cars.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:19 PM
Gingervitis Addict

Originally Posted by Vetal
Sorry for being dumb but what do we get by doing this? I've searched a bit and what is called tow/haul on trucks is "performance mode" on cars.
Its the same shift table.

Basically you could have your normal mode shift automatically, and the other mode could be like a manual mode (for whatever reason you need it)
Old 02-21-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

slow67, how would it work? for example I select OD, or 2nd gear, what difference between 2 modes?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I almost made up my mind. I'm going to order built tranny from a a sponsor, capable of holding 900-1000HP, normal auto valve body. I guess it would be better on the strip to let PCM control it. In (not rare) cases I want to go around corner sideways, I would put in it 2nd gear and hope it won't select 1st.
I'm going with transbrake, better have it than not, in case I ever go to a good-prepped track. If not, I will just not use it. Correct, no?
Not decided on the converter now, but I guess I want something lockable under WOT. Don't really know why I would need it though Probably only for top-speed events.
Do these choices sound reasonable? Please advice! 4K for a tranny is actually like 5 monthly salaries here, a lot of money...
Old 03-06-2011, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

What stall should I go for for street/strip car? Many recommend at least 3600 but some say 4000 drives at only a bit higher rpms in city but give .1-.2 at the strip.
Also, won't 3.73 gears I currently have in my 12 bolt rear be too much? Will I loose smth. in ET if I go lower gears (for mileage)?
Thanks!
Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any idea on 3.73 gears with 4L80? If I calculated correctly, I'll be at 2300rpms at 62mph (that's about 2500 on tacho)
Old 03-07-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Update, I went with Circle-D multi-disc converter (3500 stall) in the end. Still need to get flexplate and understand whether I need to upgrade driveshaft.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could someone please explain the concept, what "Neutral safety switch", "gear position switch" and "brake pedal control" are, and how do you deal with them in M6 -> A4 swap?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

An also what does the big button on the **** do (sorry, never had auto before)
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Talk to Jake at jakes performance he has designed his transbrake and with his manual valve body it can be set up to let the comp do the shifting or full manual. Then you get the best of both worlds and as for the brake when the time comes that you can use it you will be glad you have it. When the conditions are wrong for it don't. No harm done. As for converters talk to the main guys and feel em out I chose circle d in part for the reputation but mainly for chris' knowledge and willingness to help.oh yeah and did I say reputation? I also spoke with flt in person when I was in Chicago and they would be my only other choice for a trans. Great bunch of people.

Originally Posted by Vetal
The time has come to create "help to decide" thread again I'm doing a lot of reading on auto trannies but it's so new I still have a lot of questions so I need some help.
I decided to switch from M6 to 4L80E on my 383ci turbo (TC76). Eventually plan to squeeze some most of it, so probably around 1000hp. I daily drive it in summer and take it to the strip often, so it has to retain good street manners and no 8mpg mileage. I'm not after Mercedes-like comfort but wouldn't want to rev it to 2500 just to take off in traffic.

So here are few questions:
1) do I really need transbrake? tracks here are not prepped very good, often no glue even. And I know TB shocks the tires like dumping clutch, so more chances to just spin badly. On the other hand, it helps to build boost off the line, but I guess 2-step helps too? So do I need TB?
2) what are benefits of manual VB? if the PCM doesn't play stupid and change gear when I'm going sideways at 4000rpm, then I don't really need it?
3) what stall converter should I get?
4) if PCM controls tranny by putting voltage to some solenoids (or it's not that simple), then is it possible that I retain auto valve body, but make some kind of box that would force to change gears, perhaps via steering-wheel mounted paddles or smth.?

Thanks for you opinions
Old 04-29-2011, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx, I already got tranny and converter Jake & Circle-D
Now I have to figure out how to shift it
Old 04-29-2011, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

What does big button on top of stock A4 shifter do?
Old 04-30-2011, 03:58 AM
Staging Lane

so you can pull it out of park. also so you can down shift