Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help tranny question???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help tranny question???

just rebuilt my transmission and its acting really weird. when tranny shifts to 2nd gear its shift really firm then looses 2nd like it goes to nuetral if i manualy put it in 2nd it will kick in and out of gear untill i put it in third then it shifts to 3rd and then 4th all other gears work fine car puts down a lil over 500 to the tire and tranny will make 3/4 WOT shift perfect. as far as i can tell servo is fine no bad seals really need help with this its driving me crazy any suggestions
Old 02-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Launching!

Did you check the 1-2 accumulator piston for wear? It is very common for the hole to get enlarged around the pin and can cause a variety of shifting problems.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so 4th works goos which tells me theband is good which also gives you second so that kinda rules out a band issue I would look on the hydraulic side of the 2nd circuit. how did you set up the 1-2 accumualtor....what was your band clearance?.....are you sure you didnt leave any seals out on the servo? how large did you drill the second feed in the plate....did you put the checkball back in? also what servo did you use..also did you mess with the 2nd accumualtor valve in the VB. as in doing a shift kit?
Old 02-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Teching In

sunnex servo and all seals look good in the servo and it has aftermarket 1/2 valve with a spring in it someone told me there should be a ball in it to but i never seen a ball accumualtor is new
Old 02-09-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so you have the transgo manual 1-2 valve in the trans...yes there is a ball that goes inside that valve and has to be in it for proper operation of the 1-2 shift....that needs to be fixed
Old 02-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Predator T/A
so you have the transgo manual 1-2 valve in the trans...yes there is a ball that goes inside that valve and has to be in it for proper operation of the 1-2 shift....that needs to be fixed
Sounds right to me. I have seen this mistake made in the past and you are right on in your thinking.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Teching In

well i pulled my tranny today. took 1/2 valve out of the valve body and the ball was behind the spring. this thing is driving me crazy i now have no idea what could be causing this. ANY IDEAS???
Old 02-11-2011, 06:51 AM

Did you verify that all the check ***** in their correct locations? 7 in the valve body and one in the case near the 3-4 accumulator. Also when you built this trans did you have all the valves out of the valve body? Sounds like you have a major leak in the 2nd clutch circuit.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Teching In

all check ***** right locations and had all valves out of the valvebody everything looked good and had no scratches or bad spots any ideas
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what is your band clearance?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Teching In

didnt set the band clearence dont know how or that you even could. i thought you just use the same shaft that the stock servo had it was the one with two circles on it.
if fourth works fine shouldnt the bank work fine in second i know a lil about these trannys but i have to be missing something every gear works fine but second
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what servo are you using? how did you etup the accumualtor..are the seals on the accumulator piston did you use a aluminum piston....
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Teching In

could there be a teflon seal leaking fluid somewhere that would cause second to come in and out like it is doing
Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Teching In

sunnax servo
Old 02-14-2011, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

could be recheck the seals on the servo. check the seals on the accumulator, did you change the spring on the accumualtor valve in the valve body. double check the install of the transgo 1-2 shift valve....did you drill the holes by the shift solenoids? they are really small to begin with there are 2 of them some kits have you drill these holes.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Teching In

all holes drilled the only thing i havent checked is the accumualtor vavle in the valve body could that cause only second to mess up
Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes usually it causes a 2nd gear start though..
Old 02-15-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Tarah
all check ***** right locations and had all valves out of the valvebody everything looked good and had no scratches or bad spots any ideas
Thanks for the reply. Do yourself a favor and go back over all the valves in the valve body to make sure that they are all facing in the correct directions and also that the springs are in the right places. Its easy to flip these components and I have seen it happen many times by a do it yourselfer. No offense but this is what I would look at.

Another thing that just came to mind is when the trans shifts to second the 3rd gear accumulator gets energized with oil pressure. It is possible that you have an issue with the capsule in the case leaking. If this is the case line pressure is dropping off and effecting the apply oil for the second gear circuit. Installing a pressure gauge on the trans would help verify this and also if the problem is pressure related or mechanical.

As Robert mentioned the 1-2 accumulator seals and also the servo seals could be an issue here as well. I see that you installed the transgo hd-2 kit. In the directions they tell you how to adjust the band and I also believe that the sonnax directions tell you this as well. Take a look at these to learn how its done.

Not sure where you are located in TX but I have a good friend that specializes in these units in the Fort Worth area. It might be a good idea to have him look at this thing to help you get your issues sorted out. If you have any other questions let us know. Hope this helps. Vince
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM
Teching In

so today i took another look at my transmission i checked 1/2 accumulator seal looked perfect. looked at 3rd accumulator seal looked perfect. all servo seals were perfect. also air checked servo with 40lbs air pressure in both holes and band held held perfect on both test. also took the valve body apart and checked all passages all looked perfect no scratches or scuffes. all valves were in the right spots. also looked at the accumulator in the valve body and the seal was perfect. im totaly lost and just taking a guess at this but could the shift siloniod be working fine but the o-ring on it be leaking fluid by letting it shift then bleeding off????? causing 2nd to come in and out.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thas possible or you drilled the holes to large for the feed to the solenoids if you did drill them.