Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replacing monsoon speakers in a convertible

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing monsoon speakers in a convertible

Well I just finished replacing all my stock speakers. We know the door speakers are 4 ohm tweeter with 2 ohm mid each powered seperately. The sail panel are 4 ohm woofers and 4 ohm tweeters each powered seperately. Here is what I did (thanks to others here for some ideas):

I bought 4 Infinity 6002i speakers. For the doors panels I wired the tweeters and the midrange seperately just like the stock ones. (Note: I removed the high-pass capacitor from the Infinity 6002i when hooking them up since the amp does all the cross-overs). For the sail panels I did the same for the tweeter and subwoofer. Only problem was with the sail panels as I was getting highs from the tweeter but my mids/lows where hardly noticable. The reason is the signal is about 200hz and below being sent to the subwoofer from the monsoon amp.

I then thought, well the factory door midrange speaker was 2 ohms but I now have a 4 ohm in there. If I run the midrange door and midrange sail panel in parallel I will have a 2 ohm load just like stock (I lose the fading of the radio but I did not care). I spliced into the midrange wires for the doors and ran a set to the sail panels. Did this and now I get great sound from the front doors and sail panels.

Took the wires for the subwoofers and hooked them up to a pair of Rockford Fosate RFP4406 in an enclosure I bought for $15. This all sounds great using the stock monsoon amp and is clear and loud with a good thump.

Just wanted to share this info for the convertible owners out there.

-Tom
Old 05-11-2004, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Good Info tom, just a couple of questions as i'm thinking of doing the same thing in my 95 T/A

How big is your Sub enclosure and do you get good bass with top and and down?

Thanks

Graham

95 T/A Vert M6
Old 05-11-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Graham,

I built my own inclosure. It has the following specs.

Angled front. top depth is 4 inches, botton depth is 8 inches. 30 inches wide and 7 inches tall. Divided into 2 sections and ported, speaker in each section . I put it on the hump behind the rear seat and made sure top goes down without hitting it. As long as you don't use the plastic covers for when the top is down bass is not bad. You lose some but some still gets through since the plastic covers are not used.
Hope this helps.

-Tom
Old 05-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Teching In

sounds great tom, i was hoping your enclosure did not take up the whole trunk, just a couple more questions (hope they dont sound to dumb but ive never built a sub enclosure )
which way are the subs pointing and also where are the ports and what size are they?
thanks in advance

Graham
Old 05-12-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Speakers are facing forward and port is on each side of the box in the bottom corner near the back of the box. Each port is about 2 inches in diameter and I also used a tube about 6 inches long for the port. Try it with and without the tube and see how you like it. I used Rockford Fosgate RFP4406 speakers which are hard to find now as they are no longer being made.

Hope this helps,
Tom
Old 05-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Teching In

thanks for the info tom, now the tough bits going to be finding the 4406's
Old 05-16-2004, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Default All very strange

I thought i'd just take a look at my stock speakers/amp before i started buying speakers
and this is what i found door speakers 4ohm mid range and 4ohm tweater each with its own wires and in the sail panels 10ohm! co-axels and no amp in the trunk.
So the whole system appears to be powered by the head unit(monsoon CD), does anybody have any details about this set up and is it worth try to upgrade or do i just replace the entire system?

Graham
95 T/A Vert M6
Old 05-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Nobody out there with an pre 98 T/A vert ?
Old 05-19-2004, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Default After some digging around..

I found this in a GM service manual I managed to download its for the 98 firebird vert, but it pretty much matches mine, I hope its useful to people trying to update their firebird vert stock system
Attached Thumbnails Replacing monsoon speakers in a convertible-vert-monsoon.gif