Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needle bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Needle bearing question

When I bought my car(over a year ago) I found some needle bearings in my oil. We used the rockers out of a 6 liter that a buddy had sitting around. After I changed my oil last night i found 6 more on my drain plug. I've changed my oil 5 times since we have replace them. The entire time I've had a magnetic drain plug. Is there any way that those needle bearings could be from the previous problem and just got to the oil pan? If not what could be causing it cause the 6.0 rockers are not suppose to fail.

Stock internal car full boltons.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by boostednismo; 02-09-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there is tons of those needle bearings in all 16 rockers. I would take the rockers all out and get the trunion upgrade to them.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

remove all of your rockers and inspect them all and then Use the comp trunion upgrade, it was made to eliminate this very problem., I have never heard that the 6 liter rockers are not supposed to fail. O would not start my car until I found the problem, You have been lucky that one of these has not wedged itself in between a rod and hurt the engine. When You figure out the problem my next step would be removing the pan and cleaning the sump and inspecting the lower end.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Launching!

There are 33 needle bearing in each side of the rocker arm. So thats 66 needle bearings in each complete rocker arm. Good news is they are too large to fit through though the sump pickup. I lost a rocker arm and ended up disassembling the entire motor looking for them all. I found the 4 I was missing in the lifter trays. Assuming you haven't lost another rocker arm, I'd pull the rockers and fish around in the lifter trays with a magnet.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the help guys. We pulled the valve covers off the car to check the rockers. They all looked great and didn't have any excess movement. Think that since my new converter hits harder then my last one that these were from the first time. Also the car is not making any abnormal engine noise.