General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Lights

How difficult is it to replace the dash lights on a 4th gen? I cant see my tach anymore and a few other gauges are not far behind.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

easy
search for gauge cluster removal

upgrade to LED while youre in there
superbrightled's is a sponsor here
Old 02-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Hi,
a few tips and hints FROM CHILTON manual........i hope this helps you.............
Have a blessed day...........jim
Attached Thumbnails Dash Lights-98-formula-dash-cluster-removal-001.jpg   Dash Lights-98-formula-dash-removal-001.jpg  

Last edited by jim ravencraft; 02-09-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

-Remove the kick panel
-Loosen the two big nuts that hold the steering column in place.....let it drop down as far as it can go without taking those nuts all the way off. You might have to remove the bracket that holds the kick panel on, just a couple screws, but you might not have to.
-Pull the plastic bezel (part of the dash) off around the cluster...BE VERY CAREFUL to not scratch the clusters clear face with the metal hardware mounted on the back of the bezel piece. Very little clearance...do it slowly. It will put a deep gouge in the clear face if it touches.
-Then remove the screws holding the cluster in...IIRC...4 hex head screws.
-Then pull the cluster "straight out". Try not to wiggle too much side to side. It will unplug from the female plug as you pull it "straight" out.

Thats it....as I remember doing about 7-8 times in one year back in 2004-2005

Takes 10 minutes to remove it, same putting it back in.

Once you get it out you will see the a bunch of black and a couple grey colored twist type screws. Take them all out and it will simply come apart. There's a bunch of bulbs in there. If you want to you can replace them with LED's to make it a custom look. Thats what I did. I didn't like the total red lighted Trans Am cluster...so I mixed it up a little with a few white ones....looks better.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by LS6427
-Remove the kick panel
-Loosen the two big nuts that hold the steering column in place.....let it drop down as far as it can go without taking those nuts all the way off. You might have to remove the bracket that holds the kick panel on, just a couple screws, but you might not have to.
-Pull the plastic bezel (part of the dash) off around the cluster...BE VERY CAREFUL to not scratch the clusters clear face with the metal hardware mounted on the back of the bezel piece. Very little clearance...do it slowly. It will put a deep gouge in the clear face if it touches.
-Then remove the screws holding the cluster in...IIRC...4 hex head screws.
-Then pull the cluster "straight out". Try not to wiggle too much side to side. It will unplug from the female plug as you pull it "straight" out.

Thats it....as I remember doing about 7-8 times in one year back in 2004-2005

Takes 10 minutes to remove it, same putting it back in.

Once you get it out you will see the a bunch of black and a couple grey colored twist type screws. Take them all out and it will simply come apart. There's a bunch of bulbs in there. If you want to you can replace them with LED's to make it a custom look. Thats what I did. I didn't like the total red lighted Trans Am cluster...so I mixed it up a little with a few white ones....looks better.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics?

do you know what type of bulbs are in there? and how many? i am guessing the heating controls are very easy to get out and change their bulbs.