Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Frustrated with stock T-56!! Help

Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Frustrated with stock T-56!! Help

2002 WS6, m6 car, 92k miles, lid and catback only with Lou's short stick.

I have a long list of many instances where I've tried to shift and couldn't shift at all.

It started when I first got my car and couldn't shift into reverse. Then I was told by many to let the car warm up a bit and then shift into third before shifting into reverse. Ok so that worked. Did they really make our cars like this of the GM line??? If so that's pathetic. Don't get me wrong I love my car, I just feel something so simple shouldn't be compromised in this day and age.

Another instance I was trying to shift into 4th when I was at about 60 mph to acclerate around a slower car and it wouldn't let me at all. It's just so damn frustrating. I don't think the tranny is going out. Its a close to stock car thats been well maintained.

Why does this happen??? Is this normal?? What can I do to help outside of a tick master???
Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 AM
TECH Regular

Sounds like you may have a hydraulic failure; either master or slave letting air in or leaking. Maybe even a clutch problem. I dont think that 92k is right off the line either, manual transmissions need maintenance too. Remember Ford, Dodge, and Aston Martin all used T-56s.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 AM
FormerVendor

Build #1 hit it on the head. I would definitely inspect the hydraulics. Check the fluid. At 92k if it hasn't been changed it is well beyond time.

Did you buy the car new? If not, it is hard telling how the previous owner drove the car.

If the hydraulics check out then it is probably just time for a refresh on the transmission. The stock blocking rings in an f-body leave a lot to be desired.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Fluids were changed 5k miles ago. Like I said the car has been well maintained when it comes to changing fluids, oil, filter etc etc.

The previous owner was a lady that only used it on weekends. It was a one owner car when I bought it and she had all her maintenance records etc etc.

I'm not a transmission expert, so I'm not sure how serious "hydraulics" would be or what a "refresh" would mean. If it is Hydraulics what kind of labor am I looking at and what would you define as "refresh". Sorry I'm a newb when it comes to transmissions.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Master Cylinder or Slave... do the drill mod see if that helps...

Seems like a lot of these "my car won't shift" "I can't get into gear" "my peddle is stuck to the floor" threads keep popping up...

Tick should do a group buy and sell the crap out their master cylinders right now!
Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You should check out the automatic trans section and see how many guys hate their stock 4L60E's

You won't feel so bad after....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Frustrated with stock T-56!! Help