Any sound system gurus here? If so i need some quick help right fast.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any sound system gurus here? If so i need some quick help right fast.

Alright i own a PPI amp and has been working great and have had it for about 2 years now. Just a bit ago the amp is not working any more. There is no power getting to it. I tried looking at the fuse in the power wire but it was hard to tell and really cold outside. I will have to get a powe rmeter and check it. Also lately my head unit has been acting really funny. It won't play any dvd's, cd's or usb, but will play the radio only. I think its starting to crap out. Would that have any problem with it not powering up or would that be fuse related only or blown amp?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 PM
12 Second Club

if your radio is starting to act up it might not be sending power to the amps remote turn on lead. Check that the turn on lead is working first. If thats getting power then check the fuse. Sometimes they look ok but they are fried and you cant see the broken fuse through the glass.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

Weird. This morning it got power. Im starting to think its the head unit. Its a dvd player Soundstream w/ detachable screen either a single din or din and half.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds power related.This weather can do strange things to the power wire/fuse holder.More so if there is corrosion involved.Check your ground connection and make sure it isnt loose.Check the power wire connection,aswell as the fuse holder.Like CamaroBoricua said next time it happens test the remote or simply put a jumper wire to the amp if it comes on that tells you right there its the remote turn on wire coming off the radio.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy yourself a multi-meter right away.
Amps are very simple to diagnose(power, ground, remote, RCA's, speaker leads), all can be tested via a MM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

I checked quite a bit last night. Ground is nice and secure. No corrosion near terminal or anywhere around amp area. Just weird. It did it when i was driving and went into the headunit settings to turn the sub bass to 10 out of 20 and it just stopped working. Also have another bass setting and thats set to +2 out of 12. So i def don't over do my sub. Its only a Alpine Type R 10". Prob pushing like 400watts to it at that. Capable of 1500
Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

so did you verify your positive also? Another thing ive seen happen is that either the turn on lead or the main power wire arent ran properly(through firewall or dash) and the insulation will wear through untill it shorts out with the body. Causing the amp to go into protection mode and shutting off.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Na been to cold to go out and check it. Its works now and has't given me a prob today. Only thing is the headunit still doesnt want to play dvd, cd's or usb flash drive. Odd
Old 02-12-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the head unit is intermittently turning off on its own, there is a known issue with the BCM where some of the solder joints crack and your power to the radio becomes flaky. I had this issue with my camaro, and all you had to do to fix it was to remove the BCM, and re-melt the solder joints on one of the relays.