Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Viper T-56 to LS conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper T-56 to LS conversion

Ok guys,

I have done a few hours of research here and am struggling to find exactly what I need to buy and do. I frequent a few other sites and learning to navigate another one is taking too much time.
Here's where I'm at. I have a Viper T-56 that I bought new in 2004 that was finally on the road all of last year behind the big block in my Chevelle. I used a lakewood scattershield and adapter plate with mechanical linkage. Now the big block is gone and I am installing an L92 and want to run the stock LS bell housing and a hydraulic clutch. Obviously I need a new flywheel, but can I run my existing Centerforce clutch and pressure plate? Can I just switch input shafts or machine mine down? Are there specs for that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tommycomfort
Ok guys,

I have done a few hours of research here and am struggling to find exactly what I need to buy and do. I frequent a few other sites and learning to navigate another one is taking too much time.
Here's where I'm at. I have a Viper T-56 that I bought new in 2004 that was finally on the road all of last year behind the big block in my Chevelle. I used a lakewood scattershield and adapter plate with mechanical linkage. Now the big block is gone and I am installing an L92 and want to run the stock LS bell housing and a hydraulic clutch. Obviously I need a new flywheel, but can I run my existing Centerforce clutch and pressure plate? Can I just switch input shafts or machine mine down? Are there specs for that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tom
You can have the input shaft machined down or you can swap it. They both have 31 teeth on the gear part of the shaft.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thesource
You can have the input shaft machined down or you can swap it. They both have 31 teeth on the gear part of the shaft.
Good information. Is my best bet to buy a LS T-56 shaft then use the dimensions from that, or are there specifications out there?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 02-11-2011, 07:38 AM
Banned

Good information. Is my best bet to buy a LS T-56 shaft then use the dimensions from that, or are there specifications out there?
Thanks,
Tom

If you are going to buy a LS1 shaft, just install it and dont worry about having the Viper shaft machined down.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're going to run an OEM LS slave, you'll need to swap the viper front plate to an LS F-body front plate because the bolt clocking is different.

Were you using the viper input shaft on the BBC with a mopar pilot bearing or was the input shaft pilot already machined down to the GM size?
Old 02-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
If you're going to run an OEM LS slave, you'll need to swap the viper front plate to an LS F-body front plate because the bolt clocking is different.

Were you using the viper input shaft on the BBC with a mopar pilot bearing or was the input shaft pilot already machined down to the GM size?
I'd like to use the OEM slave so it looks like I'll need the front plate too. I was using the mopar pilot bearing.

Thanks for the help.
Tom
Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Guess I should have also asked if there is another option for a slave that I can stick with the Viper front plate?
Tom
Old 02-11-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Guess I should have also asked if there is another option for a slave that I can stick with the Viper front plate?
Tom
You " should" be able to use the aftermarket "RAM Hydraulic release bearing kit 98-02" for this app, but I haven't tested it. It uses flex lines so the clocking shouldn't be critical, assuming the lines are long enough. It costs more, but would probably be cheaper than OEM slave + new front plate.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are using a true '04 Viper, the LS1 shaft will not swap in. They are both 31T but the cutting is different. You should cut down what you have.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by calhoon
If you are using a true '04 Viper, the LS1 shaft will not swap in. They are both 31T but the cutting is different. You should cut down what you have.
Are you sure about that? I thought all the 2.66 ratio stuff was basically the same other than the one piece or two piece cluster gear deal.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Well, it is a Tremec Viper T56 purchased in 2004 new in the box. So, in theory it could have been a 2003. Any way I can tell the difference for sure?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 02-13-2011, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure about that? I thought all the 2.66 ratio stuff was basically the same other than the one piece or two piece cluster gear deal.
Yup, Im sure., Messing with '03-'04 Viper 2.66 ratios will teach you a thing or two.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Banned

Yup, Im sure., Messing with '03-'04 Viper 2.66 ratios will teach you a thing or two.
Learn something new every day I guess. I've only worked on a handful of Viper units in the past 15 years of doing it and they are far and few between. 99% of the stuff I do is GM and a Cobra unit here and there.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Learn something new every day I guess. I've only worked on a handful of Viper units in the past 15 years of doing it and they are far and few between. 99% of the stuff I do is GM and a Cobra unit here and there.
So bottom line, I need to have my input shaft machined. Unless I can find an LS shaft to borrow locally I will need to buy one and use it for dimensions then turn around and sell it? Apparently I should have started my research a little earlier...
Tom
Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You " should" be able to use the aftermarket "RAM Hydraulic release bearing kit 98-02" for this app, but I haven't tested it. It uses flex lines so the clocking shouldn't be critical, assuming the lines are long enough. It costs more, but would probably be cheaper than OEM slave + new front plate.
Not only is the clocking different, but I believe the mounting depth is different as well on the Viper unit.

Mike
Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

So bottom line, I need to have my input shaft machined. Unless I can find an LS shaft to borrow locally I will need to buy one and use it for dimensions then turn around and sell it? Apparently I should have started my research a little earlier...
Tom
You shouldn't need to purchase one. All you need is the measurement to the tip of a LS1 input shaft and where the clutch splines start. I have a local machine shop I use and have the shafts cut down to the proper size and have a case hardend bushing pressed on where it rides in the pilot bearing. It just barely has enough clutch splines left to work on a LSx application. Or atleast the ones I have done do, the later model Viper shaft might be different.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

Well, I ended up taking the T56 up to RPM Transmissions since they are semi-local and having them install a new mid plate and LS input shaft. Today I will order the complete hydraulic clutch actuator kit and adapter flywheel (so I can run my old school BBC/SBC centerforce clutch) from Keisler Engineering. I also purchased a used LS bellhousing, cleaned it and powder coated it. Looks like I am well on my way to getting the trans issues sorted out so I can get this L92 swap done. Only about a month left before our first Pro-Touring event! Thanks for the guidance.
Tom
Old 03-04-2011, 02:39 AM
Staging Lane

So your using the viper trans? If so what all requires change?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bbs350z
So your using the viper trans? If so what all requires change?
Just the midplate and input shaft. Although I really like doing most of my own work, paying a professional to make the swap seemed like the way to go. I'm not sure if the tail shaft housing is different, but I was using this trans before so I know it will work for my application again.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Staging Lane

Yea I hear ya, seems like you have a nice setup goin on

Quick Reply: Viper T-56 to LS conversion