Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

SFC question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SFC question

ok so i went to a muffler shop to get my car inspected today (stupid law), and i asked if they could/would weld in a set of SfC's for me. The welder tells me that he cant do it, and that it is stupid and dangerous to weld anything to the frame of a car. He is smoking crack, or am i just missing the boat thinking that SFCs would be a good thing??

Thanks

Hyler
Old 02-13-2004, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

sfc's are a great thing. he just didn't know how to do it, and so he blamed it on his own ignorance. in other words, he bullshitted you. find someone else to do it.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

What he said.

The guy is obviously a dumbass....I wouldn't even want him working on my car after a statement like that.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER have a muffler shop weld in subframe connectors! Please take the time to find someone who knows what they are doing...or you could wind up with doors that don't close, a warped unibody, and a burnt up interior. I'm not trying to scare you away, just please find someone reputable to do the work.
I have SFCs that were welded in by a local performance shop. They did an OK job, but the car wasn't on it's suspension when the welded them in...so I have no idea if the frame is straight or not. Don't make my mistake!
The car needs to be resting on it's suspension before fitting and welding the SFCs in place.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:07 AM
TECH Junkie

I totally agree with the above. Definitely take the time to find a competent shop/welder to do your SFC's. When I had mine done a few years ago I had trouble finding a shop locally so I called a reputable body shop thinking they would be able to do it. I got such a ration of **** - the guy was going to charge me $300 and claimed I would have to gut the interior - seats and all . Luckily I ended up finding a shop about 30 miles away that builds racecar chassis and they did a great job.

I personally wouldn't trust a muffler shop unless you happen to know a quality welder that works there or something. Also, you might see if you can find a shop that deals in Mustangs since the work will be very similar.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem. I bought SLP's bolt-in SFCs and they work great. There are some really dumb "mechanics" out there...

I know this thread will turn into bolt-in SFC bashing in no time, but I and many anothers have had nothing but a good experience with them.

Tommy
Old 02-13-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

He's smokin crack.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's not smoking crack, rather, he's covering his ***.

When you stiffen the chassis, like with subframes, the crush zones are altered. Cars are designed with impacts in mind. Adding stiffners changes that.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mitch is right however the very part of the car
designed not to crush is the same where the SFC's
cover so I'd theorize it enhances protection to you
while causing more damage to the car in a bad accident.
Think about it, your crumple zones are in the front-I found
out the hard way with my 91
Old 02-13-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me and you ... sure we understand.

A small businessman with his *** to lose ... I'd be damned careful as well
Old 02-13-2004, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Good point - one that we often take for granted. Many shops aren't savvy with aftermarket parts and would rather not take the risk. Could be the guy doesn't really understand the concept either... At any rate finding a quality shop to do your work will be time well spent. Try posting the question (i.e. where's a good shop to weld in SFC's) in your regional forum if you haven't already.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

like mentioned earlier, the guy just didnt know how to do it. I would find a experienced shop to do something like that. The SFC's are only as good as the welder is.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:05 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Take it to a frame/body shop.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had both weld ins and now Bolt in SLP's. I like the bolt ins and I like the fact that I could install them without having some idiot mess with my car. Now if your in F-body land, Texas it maybe different. But shops in this area are not that savvy in fact the frame and body shop that welded mine didn't take up the carpet like they should of and didn't really sheild the fuel lines. I didn't know any better at the time Scary!
Old 02-16-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mitchntx
To me and you ... sure we understand.

A small businessman with his *** to lose ... I'd be damned careful as well

I think you make a good point here. Any small business should be terrified of litigation considering the way the courts currently operate.

I personally think you should find a COMPETENT weldor and have them do it. It doesn't matter if the guy works out of his garage or in a shop. Make sure you look at some of his work, look at his equipment and get some references.

One of the most important factors in a sound weld is cleanliness. If his shop or garage is covered in filth or he doesn't thoroughly clean the area prior to welding move on.

If you choose to use ChroMoly SFCs make sure he TIG welds,stick welds (not as good as TIG) or uses MIG with the proper wire and shielding gases. Gas welding DOES NOT work well on ChroMoly.

Make sure he uses quality wire that is not rusted up. Lincoln L-56 is good stuff as far as wire goes. If TIG/Stick insist on sealed rods or ones coming from a dryer.Preferably made of virgin metal not scrap remelt and certainly not coat hanger (don't laugh I've seen it). Do not allow them to use cheap wire/rod on these welds. Why weld with a material that is weaker than the base? You might as well just braze it if you're doing that.

good luck.

Quick Reply: SFC question