Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PNP switch adjust??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Question PNP switch adjust??

I adjusted the pnp w/ the GM tool. The engine starts in park, but will not start in neutral.

This system is in a 55 Chevy. I am using the 12V+ from the pnp to trigger a relay for the starter sol wire from the key.

Is it unusual to have to make further adjustment to the switch once set w/ the GM tool???
Old 02-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

It sounds like you're using the reverse light wire. The neutral safety doesn't provide 12 volts.

It seems like in order to get it to work, you need to supply 12 volts to the dark green wire on the switch, run the purple with white stripe to your relay coil, ground the other terminal of your relay coil.

You could also use the orange with black stripe and the black with white stripe wires that orignally went to the hatch release lock out. (closed in park and neutral).
Old 02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up Thanks 4 the ..

help!
The harness is a Howell piece. The wire I used, [Green/white] was marked "12V", & comes out of pin 9 on the pnp plug. That is the wire I am using to heat up the relay.
I tested this wire, as the guy at Howell said I was to put 12v to it...Wrong info. I tested it thru the pink power wire at pin 11. It became "hot" when the pnp was in park, and had no pwr in any other position. I further verified the 12v once the system was actually hot.
The schematic I have, from Alldata, for the donor vehicle, [2005 H2], is where I am getting this info. I traced the green/white from the relay to the pnp plug, to verify I didn't have it hooked up elsewhere.
This gr wire was not included in the harness wrap. It was left loose by Howell.

The other wires are:
1. dk gr clutch start sig.
2-3 not used.
4. yelo trans range sig B
5. blk/wht range sig A
6. gray range C
7. blk/wht ground
8. range sig P
9. lt green pnp sw sig
10. gray b/u lite power supply
11. pnk ign 1 volts
12. pnk ign 1 volts

Maybe, the pnp sw is no good???? Or??

Again, thanks for your time!

Update:
tried the system by pulling the trans shifter thru all gears... No response except in park. Indicates to me that the wire I am using to trigger the relay goes dead once out of park...Not sure where to go from here.

Last edited by Old Geezer; 02-11-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

So what are you using for a pnp switch. The stock factory one on the transmission, OR??????????????????????????
Old 02-11-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Yep..

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
So what are you using for a pnp switch. The stock factory one on the transmission, OR??????????????????????????
the switch is a DELCO pt # 242221125, single plug switch...Correct for the 05 H2.
I have the same switch on my 07 Silverado, and it starts in both p & n. I'm beginning to wonder if the sw is fubar'd. I may get another, and see what happens. [Or, take the sw off the Silve, and do a swap]
That's surely cheaper than $50+!!

Looking at the schematic, I see that the OEM setup uses a starter relay that's triggered by a yell/blk wire at pcm pin 39. It's labelled "start enable relay."
Could be, I don't have the correct wire to begin with...????

Last edited by Old Geezer; 02-11-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Quick Reply: PNP switch adjust??