New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple intake questions...preparing for ls6 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple intake questions...preparing for ls6 swap.

I just got a ls6 intake with fuel rails, injectors, and a tb.

1.) Can I reuse the old seals and bolts, and will have have to get the low profile valley bolt. I am not removing the coolant line I am instead going to grind down the tabs on the ls6 I've already got the pic of where to grind.

2.) The intake came with injectors with part #12561462 which i read was a ls6 injector. Is there any differance with those too my injectors on my 98 model?
If so should I go ahead and just use the ls6 or stock ones.

I already know I will need a tune before long, but it will be awhile. I know some guys running small cams on stock tunes...cars just don't run out right. But I figure with just longtubes, y pipe and ls6 intake won't be that BAD for awhile...but we all know anything can happen.

Any tips this is my first time installing a intake and well gotta learn sometime.

I already know to lift up and out...Oil preasure sending unit breaking is no good.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you can reuse the intake bolts,I don't know about the port seals.you can keep the stock valley cover bolts.if your stock 98 injectors are 28# then you don't need a tune .it is best to install the back bolts in the intake before installing it.hold those intake bolts up with a small slit tub that can be peeled off the bolt.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks I was told the 98's have 28 injectors...is there a certain part number.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is my ls6 intake after I took the plastic tabs off to clear the line..just thought i would share.

BUT i havent got to put it on yet cause guess who broke there oil pressure switch and has to order one offline cause no stores have them or can get them withing 4 days ......sucks man.

It's my first time.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Intake Gaskets are reusable, but for $20 a set of new Felpro can be had from pretty much any parts store. The Gasket set also includes new foam pads for the bottom of the intake. Most people don't reinstall them because they aren't necessary, but since I had them when I did my LS6 install, I went ahead and used them.

I'm not 100% on what you can do with the injectors. If in doubt, its not at all tough to swap them from one intake to the other.

Intake looks good, man. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks man I just went ahead and used a set of new gaskets I have here.

Ive got everything ready just waiting on that oil pressure switch to come in...until then rocking the 88 dodge dakota haha.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i had to do mine again, I would first remove the oil pressure sending unit, I tried my damdest not to break it, but It broke anyway and it was a bitch finding the right one for my 98.

There's a special socket for it you can buy at the autoparts store and you can snake your arm back there just right to get it out with the intake still on.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

I have new gaskets. Is there any where to buy just the foam pads. Or can I just cut and make with any foam.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the foam pads are to keep debire from gathering there under the intake .you should be able to make your own .

Quick Reply: Couple intake questions...preparing for ls6 swap.