General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car won't warm up.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't warm up.

My car barely does warm up...you have to go on about a 20 minute drive to get it to warm up.

The fans are set on switches ( previous owner) and the car has a radiator light coming on but coolant level is fine.

The car has a ws6 hood which the previous owner or owners took the plate off so it's direct airflow over the engine...If I let it idle it will start to warm up or if I am in stop and go traffice...but with it 30 or 40 degrees out it will cool down when I'm driving it.

Get's to the point where I can let the car warm up in the morning...where the heat is getting warm...drive it..and the air coming out of the vent cools back down.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you need a new thermostat, it's most likely stuck open and/or not closing fully.

even with all that airflow through the radiator, with the thermostat that fully closes it stops coolant from flowing to the radiator so the engine will heat up.
I just picked up a new stat for mine including the housing for < $20 at partsamerica, it was cheaper to get the whole housing with the stat rather than just the stat.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It may not have a thermostat. The previous owner may have removed it. It could be stuck open too. If so it will take forever in the winter time for you to get up to the correct operating temperature. The OEM factory thermostat is 190 degrees.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I was thinking. I know these cars have to warm up right to run descent. Sometimes it won't get beyond 170 degrees.

Def gonna buy a new T-stat...like I said the fans are on switches so this summer if I wanna run them in between passes...no problem.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it has a 160* t-stat in it. Change it back to the stock t-stat and it should warm up.

Search this Thread