Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using the corvette ls3 accessory drive on iron block LY6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anybody using the corvette ls3 accessory drive on iron block LY6?

I'd like to go with the corvette ls3 accessory drive on an LY6 engine, but I've been told it only works with aluminum blocks. However, someone (that was trying to sell me an iron block LY6) said it just needs a hole drilled and tapped but it will work fine. Anybody know whether this will work or not?

Thx!
Old 02-12-2011, 01:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You would have the same problem with F-Body accessories. The mounting boss is there, but the hole isn't used for trucks so it isn't drilled and tapped.

HTH
Old 02-12-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thx...I am only considering the LS3 setup that Pace has:
http://paceperformance.com/i-5135244...7-engines.html
cuz I think this would work best in the GM a-body.

So, has anyone used this and drilled/tapped the bolt it needs to work? Is it truly only one bolt--that doesn't seem like it would be that hard to do. Anybody w/details I'd appreciate it.

I am considering a 2010 LY6/L96 low mileage engine out of a silverado, and while I know the truck accessories will work, they'll add about $400 to the purchase price. If I can make the pace setup work, I'd just pay the extra $300.

BTW, is it just me or is the price of that accessory drive just steadily climbing? Seems like it was in the $600s a few weeks ago, and someone posted they got it on sale from pace in the $500s
Old 02-12-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
I am considering a 2010 LY6/L96 low mileage engine out of a silverado, and while I know the truck accessories will work, they'll add about $400 to the purchase price. If I can make the pace setup work, I'd just pay the extra $300.

BTW, is it just me or is the price of that accessory drive just steadily climbing? Seems like it was in the $600s a few weeks ago, and someone posted they got it on sale from pace in the $500s
It's one bolt on the driver's front corner of the block and yes it's quite easy. Once you have the accessories it will be obvious which bolt needs a hole.

If cost is a factor, why get such a new engine? You can always get a same year / mileage and easier to find 5.3 for far less than the "magical" 6.0's and much cheaper than any aluminum variant regardless of displacement. You could also step back several years and save more money while losing nothing. These engines are not like the engines of old - today 100K is literally nothing and just broken in. The only reason to get a 6.0 in my eyes is if you are planning to swap heads. There are more heads designed around the larger 5.7 and up bores. A cam in one of these engines goes a long way, but it all depends on your goals.

Accessory drives are not cheap. What they may have purchased was the older LS-1/6 "corvette" or "CTS-V" setup on clearance which may have been discontinued since those cars aren't in production. Purchasing a complete factory setup from GM (what you're looking at) is probably the most economical route possible if you are looking for new and want / need everything. GM accessory drives have always been around the price you listed depending on which chassis it was designed to be fitted and if it had A/C. I was just discussing options with a friend who's car I'm building about a company with products starting at $1800 and up for these engines. If you price the components separately you'll soon see the cost savings.

You will need a crank pulley, the truck pulley is not in the right spot for that accessory drive.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
It's one bolt on the driver's front corner of the block and yes it's quite easy. Once you have the accessories it will be obvious which bolt needs a hole.

THX!

If cost is a factor, why get such a new engine? Y

This will be my third engine swap in the cutlass (89 350TPI/700R4 in 1990, 96LT1/T56 in 1998) and I've always been recommended to buy the lowest mileage engine possible. I'll do that here as well. I also think I can get a pretty good deal; I have a line on one that can be delivered to my house for $2250 w/under 5k miles w/o accessories, $2650 with. I think that cost is reasonable.

You will need a crank pulley, the truck pulley is not in the right spot for that accessory drive.
Good to know; thx again!
Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
You are correct. I believe that particular access. drive was under $700. I purchased mine ( same part number and supplier) when it was on sale. Just under $500. I would call them and ask if they put them on sale during a certain time of year.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive seen posts on here about doing that drill and tap, Im sure of it.

I think guys say to bolt on the bracket with as many of the bolts that will go to make sure you locate it properly and then put a drill bit in the brackets hole that fits without a bunch of slop and give it a tap to dimple the block.

Remove the bracket (or leave it place as a guide, or fab up something else out of steel to be a guide), drill it very carefully not to go too deep and tap it out.

As far as sizes for bit and tap, I dont know.

I was going to do this at one time to my LQ4, but didnt need to when my truck FEAD fit in my conversion.

Quick Reply: Anybody using the corvette ls3 accessory drive on iron block LY6?