Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true dual regrets

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true dual regrets

i installed TSP true duals with long tube headers on my 2002 WS6 and now I regret it.
i lost a ton of torque and everything inside vibrates. i thought the system was going to exit where the factory pipes were but it dumps out a foot or so pas the x pipe.

what can i do to get my power back besides putting on my stock or spending a lot of money to upgrade the engine?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should have done some more research, you can make more power with a good Y-pipe setup
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever tune your car? I'm guessing you put in headers as well? Or was that previously?

You can make plenty of power with a Y-setup....any dumped system is going to be MUCH louder.....
Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I disagree with a Y-pipe being able to make more potential power than true duals. This is just simply not the case.

To the OP, you could have the exahust extended to the bumper by a custom exhaust shop, thus reducing some interior noise. Increasing exhaust flow hasn't cost you any power, but it may have shifted your powerband some. Additionally, if you have not done tuning for the LT headers, that will be costing you some potential power; get that addressed when you can.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is your motor completely stock? You should add a cam and supporting hardware and then get it tuned. The difference will be night and day.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Never really heard of anyone regreting TDs. Anything you do here on out will only multiply based on having a very free flowing exhaust.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

if you got too much exhaust pipe, you lose the scavenging effect. This reduces the exhaust velocity at low rpm and thus reduces overall performance in low rpm bands.

eg. You might lose a little bit of scavenging at low rpm with a single 3" pipe upgrade but gain a lot in the upper rpm over stock. Now if you have true duals at 3" you have an exhaust system that is probably "tuned" well beyond what your engine operates at. Bigger isn't always better. The exhaust and intake have to be matched to what your engine puts out or you're gonna get problems like the OP.

edit: For simplicity's sake, lets just say that true duals at 2.5" would be like putting a 5" single exhaust on. You are doubling the volume the exhaust can expand into and thus reducing velocity and increasing cooling (which reduces velocity more) all of which rob power from scavenging and this hurts low rpm performance. At stock 300hp or less, you probably would still see a loss in low end power even with 2" true duals. I know in the 200hp range people can feel a loss in single pipe upgrades from stock to 3". Pick an exhaust for your engine and you'll be happy. Or at least what your engine will soon be.

Last edited by safemode; 02-12-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

^what he said

I was gonna use a single 3 inch y pipe setup with a cutout and people recommended that I switch to a TD setup to get the most power out of my head/cam/intake build. I guess I could see where it would feel like you lost torque when you switched. A lot of noise and not going anywhere too fast....lol.
Tuning it should really help with that..
Old 02-13-2011, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

I honestly dont think your going to notice that much on a stocker, the scaveging effect is done mainly with the headers and what is closer to the exhaust cycle, after that it just needs to get outta there. A 3" exhaust is going to be good enough for most 300-500+ hp applications, somewhere there is a sticky that talks about this in very high detail. V8's just need to breath and we dont have to worry about all that **** like 4 cylinders do like back pressure and what not. And like RMPWS6 said you wont loose power from doing this, especially if you keep modding. Look up "frost tune" cheap and very reputable tuning, i think its 150 and its mail in, perfect for bolt ons
Old 02-13-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

TSP has a rumbler cat-back system with a bullet muffler that exits in the stock location, Thats what I run on my car, I have no regrets, everyone either loves or is scared of the way my car sounds. Fit fine This was on my stock shortblock with their heads,cam, fast 92. I now have a new 383 that I am waiting on a tune and am still running this exhaust.
Here is the video of it on TSPs dyno, it did 463rwhp and 428tq cant wait to see what my stroker does,, It has good sound so you can have an idea of what their system sounds like...
http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/m...nt=463pull.mp4
Old 02-13-2011, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

i guess you guys are right cause i can today and my et was the same while my trap increased by 2 mph
Old 02-13-2011, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my car with TD's already on it, so I dont know if it lost torque or gained or anything...but.. good lord true duals vibrate the **** out of my interior. Makes me feel like im driving a POS lol. I probably wouldnt mind it if it wasnt my daily driver, and the sound is awesome.. but i've been seriously considering going to an ORY and catback with a cutout.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by zrsnopro97
I bought my car with TD's already on it, so I dont know if it lost torque or gained or anything...but.. good lord true duals vibrate the **** out of my interior. Makes me feel like im driving a POS lol. I probably wouldnt mind it if it wasnt my daily driver, and the sound is awesome.. but i've been seriously considering going to an ORY and catback with a cutout.
True duals themselves have nothing to do with the sound vibration, it's all about muffler selection and exit location. Run them out the back with something like dual 5" round Magnaflow mufflers and your concerns will be taken care of.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
True duals themselves have nothing to do with the sound vibration, it's all about muffler selection and exit location. Run them out the back with something like dual 5" round Magnaflow mufflers and your concerns will be taken care of.

This is the set up I have and it sounds amazing. I have zero drone at all and it doesn't vibrate the car at all. RPM speaks the truth his opinions might as well be gospel.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Correct.
I should have stated MY true dual set up vibrates lol. Sweet thunders dumped at the rear axle. When I bought the car it actually had some tailpipes made from some muffler shop; they bolted to a flange after the mufflers and ran underneath the rear axle. It was poorly done and I hated the look of the pipes running underneath the axle, so I got rid of them and had turndowns welded on instead. I guess I will live with the vibrations for now, but as you stated, I have been considering changing out the mufflers and/or having some quality pipes made to run out the back. Not sure what I'm going to do yet
Old 02-14-2011, 03:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
This is the set up I have and it sounds amazing. I have zero drone at all and it doesn't vibrate the car at all. RPM speaks the truth his opinions might as well be gospel.
Preach it brotha haha
Old 02-14-2011, 04:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You wont make more power with a y-pipe setup. I dont understand how you lost enough torque to actually notice a difference?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

I just switched from ory and magnaflow to a TSP duals w/ dynomax bullets dumped and i am loving..its ******* awesome!! Yes at start up, everything vibrates..lol. but after that its perfect. my throttle response is so much better. it seems like it woke my car up. Plus i am running a reverse split cam which needs a flowing exhaust.

At crusing speeds everything is mellow. its not raspy, or anything. the sound just gives it a feel that there is power ready to be unleashed when you floor it..LOL. i am very happy. just need to re adjust the duals for better clearance..
Old 02-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Is there even one solid piece of data out there that proves TDs have an advantage of a Y setup?

Just curious.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
I just switched from ory and magnaflow to a TSP duals w/ dynomax bullets dumped and i am loving..its ******* awesome!! Yes at start up, everything vibrates..lol. but after that its perfect. my throttle response is so much better. it seems like it woke my car up. Plus i am running a reverse split cam which needs a flowing exhaust.

At crusing speeds everything is mellow. its not raspy, or anything. the sound just gives it a feel that there is power ready to be unleashed when you floor it..LOL. i am very happy. just need to re adjust the duals for better clearance..
Lol I know what you mean. I love the sound of my TSP duals. Super deep tone at idle/cruise... but when you stomp it, it reminds me of a Nascar. It screams at WOT, especially if you are under a bridge

Quick Reply: true dual regrets