Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Frankenstein T56 Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Frankenstein T56 Question

I have a riddle for you tech-savvy folks.

I am using a CTS-V bellhousing and a 4thGen F-body T-56. I am mating this to an LS6 with the help of an LS7 clutch.

Using the 4th Gen bellhousing the clutch won't have enough clearance, but the CTS-V housing (which fits the clutch perfectly) is 1/4" longer.

If I use the CTS-V housing, will the input shaft fit into the recessed LS1 bearing/bushing enough to maintain stability?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2011, 08:30 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You probably don't want the SBC/BBC/LT1/LS1 type pilot which is under 1.5" in o.d. and goes in the inner recess of the crank.

Measure to see where the pilot sits in the crank. More than likely, you need to get a pilot bearing for a CTS-V which sits in the outer recess of the crank.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the CTS-V bearing (the engine and bellhousing came from a CTS-V, but the project is a 67 Camaro, so the stock trans was ditched. I have been researching, and I found that another guy using the exact same setup I am, and he says that everything is fine when using the LS1 bearing, but I have my doubts. Wanted to check with the resident experts from here before I go ahead with it.

My measuring puts the CTS-V bearing at the perfect depth, but when I talk to the guys at SDparts.com, they are very adamant that I use the LS1 bearing or risk damaging the input shaft.

They are saying that the input shaft is too long on a regular T-56 to seat correctly with the CTS-V bearing.

Here is the link to the CTS-V trans info:
http://swaptastic.net/david/trans.html
Old 02-12-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The outer-ring CTSv pilot bearing will not be correct for this application, you'll need to use the inner-ring standard bushing.

You should definitely dry fit the trans on the motor without the flywheel/clutch on and see where the pilot rides in the crank. At worst, leave the bushing out of the crank 1/4" and test, then tap it further in as needed. The 1/2" offset of the bearing will be too much.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might be me but why does this seem simple to figure out?

why you cant just measure the distance from the front of the trans to the end of the input shaft splines. then install the bell housing on the engine measure this same distance in from the trans mounting surface and see where you sit. you should see very quickly where the bushing will need to be on the crank

Quick Reply: Frankenstein T56 Question