Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Modded LS1, (safe?)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Modded LS1, (safe?)

Okay here is the deal. I plan on buying an LS1 Fbody in a month. I see some good deals but most of the cars are modded. I plan on doing mods in the future. I guess my question is, is it dumb to buy a car that is already modded, say Comp Cam, Stage 2 Heads, Headers, Intake? That is about where i want to end up anyway. It is just the thought of buying a car already modded, for some reason it scares me. Any opinions on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

Well we like to RACE our cars, and when you drive hard you brake hard.

So if the dude is like naw i've never dogged my Stage 2 heads car, you need to run.

Alot of people start to sell their cars when they become problematic (modded).

I would subtract from the value of the car if it has mods.

Meaning STOCK - MOD $$ . Why? it's been dogged.

We didn't put mods on so we feel better. We put them on to drag race/race. That puts a world of hurt on every component of the car.

For me. I found a dude who was **** on the car, the car has 2.73's and all records from day 1 (original owner) date sorted in order and correct. Carfax/CreditExpert clean. Basically an **** accountant.

Needless to say it shows no signs of wear anywhere. Doubt it's ever been drag raced till i got it. Wrong kinda dude .. i think he was know what i mean not alot of at the strip on friday night unless its Michael Jackson drag-event.
Old 02-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

id always steer clear of it, unless you know EXACTLY what mods have been done and you're okay with them... of course you can never be 100% sure unless youve talked extensively w/the previous owner..... and even then id still be a little weary of it . it really depends on how much you trust whats been done. my thought though,--isnt it always more fun to mod it yourself? thats one of the joys of owning an f-bod..... anywho, my .02..... good luck w/your car hunt!
Old 02-13-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

i agree entirely with what sam said. i found a guy who had left my car completely stock, and very rarely "got on it" as he put it. he said "i like to grandma my cars." ...which is what i was looking for.

from time to time, since i've bought the car, i've grinded a couple of gears and hit the rev limiters a couple of times, but nothing extensive. i, too, take good care of my cars in every aspect. everytime i think about someone who "got on it" all the time and grinding gears and hitting rev limiters consistently scares me - those are the kind of things that tear up cars. and flooring them everywhere all the time definetely doesn't make their life any longer.

buying a modded car isn't always a big deal, but like sam said, you have to think about the odds that a car with stage 2 heads/cam/blah blah is going to last the 100k+ miles that you probably would want it to problem free. it might, but it's more of a gamble than going the safe route.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Teching In

i have an ls1 you can buy......2002 silver Z no serious mods.....just a cold air kit, and a magnaflow catback...and oh yeah the ultra Z hood! never seen rain or snow.....16, ooo miles
Old 02-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Launching!

How much?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Teching In

blue book values it at 19, 000
Old 02-13-2004, 12:05 PM
Launching!

Guess i will try to get a stock or Mostly Stock LS1 then. The only thing with that is, even if it's mostly stock , how can you really tell if it hasn't been dogged as much as a H/C/I LS1? Are you saying , adding H/C/I is going to reduce the life on an LS1, or does the way you drive it do it?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Launching!

Any pics? derrick.conley@dhafra.af.mil
Old 02-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Teching In

you got an e mail address ill shoot ya some pics
Old 02-13-2004, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Don't pay more than BLUE BOOK TRADE-IN!!! I've never paid more than that. No matter what the cars will be sold for that much.maybe .5%-1% more at most.

If you pay blue book private or retail you are taking it in da butt.

In my case i paid $100 over blue book trade in for my pristine single owner all record car. When i took it in to finance it, she said i had +3000 equity as of now, and did not need GAP insurance. I felt that was a good deal. I didn't really barter much either.

Here's a FACT: THE USED CAR MARKET SUCKS.

it's a buyers market. Look on autotrader and ebay. Nothings selling. The buyer gets to call the shots. Just gotta be patient and the right deal will fall your way mate.

People are losing their jobs, and sadly losing their precious speical 2002's still gotta sell em to keep the house over their head. Thats the truth. Sucks, i've been blessed but you never know.

So don't ever get yourself upside down in a loan if you do finance. btw.

4.5% max used APR is nominal
0-3% for a new untitled car is nominal.

hell i've got $25K citibank credit card with 2.9% for life, i was looking for 0% for life then i'll BT my car loan over and own the car

be smart. ask questions. Avoid modded cars. I promise you i drive my car alot harder since i modded it. I wont lie.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Launching!

I have noticed that alot of cars aren't selling. I'm looking to spend around the 20k range. I see alot of hawks that i would like to buy but people want way to much for them. I am just going to be patient, throw some offers here and there and wait for someone to bite on one of my offers. It will happen sooner or later.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its always more fun to mod your own car...think about it man...I would not buy a modded car.

Wes
Old 02-13-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

When i was looking for my car my main requirement was little to no mods... The car I got even still had Skip Shift!! I was willing to even pay more for a stocker. The reason why is simple, firstly do you know WHO did those mods??? Nope, and I dunno about you guys but Im sure if theres work you cant do on your car youre VERY picky about the shop that works on it. Secondly, nobody mods a car just for the hell of it, You can guarantee about 90% of the time the car had its ***** beat off... Sorry to say.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
The car I got even still had Skip Shift!!
same here. stock shifter as well. this guy didn't even know what skip shift was, haha. he also thought his ls1 was the only one to ever knock on cold morning start ups. when i asked him if he ever used nitrous or any power adders, his response was, "i don't think so - the only thing i ever did to the car was the 17" z06 rims." classic
Old 02-13-2004, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i baught mine new because i did not trust anyone with these cars
plus it was the last time i would ever be able to buy a brand new ws6
and 0% financing
Old 02-13-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tuffluck
same here. stock shifter as well. this guy didn't even know what skip shift was, haha. he also thought his ls1 was the only one to ever knock on cold morning start ups. when i asked him if he ever used nitrous or any power adders, his response was, "i don't think so - the only thing i ever did to the car was the 17" z06 rims." classic
Mine was from a dealer in texas, traded in on a SLOWER car, stock shifter too on mine. The only things I've done is skip shift eliminator and a Hurst Billet Plus. I still have this stupid SLP lid sitting in the basement, I couldnt get the IAT out of the stocker, and after I had a REALLY hard time getting that stupid plastic plug in the side, I got frustrated and left it. Otheriwse, great car!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jerflash
i baught mine new because i did not trust anyone with these cars
plus it was the last time i would ever be able to buy a brand new ws6
and 0% financing
Hey Joe, Remember me? I'm Tom I used to have the TTA with no badges, and im friends with Andy....
Old 02-13-2004, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ya man i remember
hoes your car man
Old 02-13-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jerflash
ya man i remember
hoes your car man
sold it to get the LS1!