Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Budget road race car trans options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Budget road race car trans options?

We've got an ex-LeMons car (Z32 300ZX) we want to put a L33 into. Due to classing rules, we can't make more than 290 to 300whp.

Problems with the T56 are:
Its heavy.
Its big enough to require substantial trans tunnel modification, which may cause classing issues.
Its expensive.

The car is light (would probably be 2400# dry with a L33/T56) and doesn't hook very well. It doesn't need a lot of gears, or a trans that allows especially fast shifting. Its just needs something to sit behind the motor and be shifted a few times a lap without grinding, overheating, or otherwise blowing up. Hell it really only needs three gears (1.3, 1.0 and 0.8 ratios would be perfect).

A T5 was the first thing that came to mind, but most people here don't seem to think they'd survive without a build up? Vorshlag stripped third on their LM7 GRM car. Plus you'd have the cable clutch to deal with, adapter plates, flywheels, etc. etc. May as well use a T56 and a really big hammer at that point.

I've got a LS1 clutch with Fidanza flywheel laying around from another car, so I'd really like to use that.

Thanks for any suggestions.

In case anyone is wondering how we got a Z32 so light:

(most of the weight is in the doors, a ton of misc. crap, and the boat-anchor for a motor)
Old 02-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Very cool.
I'm in the middle of putting a Super t10 behind a lm7.
I'f you are interested I'll send you info..

I feel a little different about trans and their "strength" than most.
I think it has to do with weight and power but mostly driver.
We ran a camaro in the lemons a few years back at CMP
"Craigslist built our Hotrod"
We had a "built" 350 from a street stock (circle track) in the car with a V6 5 speed attached to it with a v6 clutch disc. (the street stock used a power glide)
The clutch, trans, and car went the entire race only changing drivers adding gas and 1 qt of oil over the 2 days.
There is a big difference in drag racing on a trans and road racing with "normal" this trans has to last shifting...
I've ridden with many that just flat out abuse their equipment.
Nice thing about v8's on a road corse is 3rd in corners 4th on straights.
Nice and easy on equipment.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Launching!

Joel,

Please do send me the info. I know nothing about the other trans options, or the T-10. Can you get one with a 0.8 4th? Seems like they mostly come with 1.0?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might want to look at a nv3500. One lived behind my 4000# supercharged 4.7L Dodge Dakota for over 100k miles. 1.4 - 1 - .78, 3rd-4th-5th. 1st is pretty low but wont matter in a road race car.

I know they were available in 4.8L Chevy trucks.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

t5 would be a great behind that, find a world class t5 out of a mustang or Camaro there a lot stronger with the tapered countershaft bearings, use a billet counter bearing support, you can make your own dog rings for faster shifts and weight reduction, and will hold 400+ hp no problem, you’re going to have to use a quick time or aftermarket bell housing and 11" clutch with proper splines depending on if its for ford or GM. any questions let me know, I have a rebuilt t5 sitting in my shop too.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:51 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JDishong
Might want to look at a nv3500. One lived behind my 4000# supercharged 4.7L Dodge Dakota for over 100k miles. 1.4 - 1 - .78, 3rd-4th-5th. 1st is pretty low but wont matter in a road race car.

I know they were available in 4.8L Chevy trucks.
Thanks, I'll look into it.

Originally Posted by cgslow77
t5 would be a great behind that, find a world class t5 out of a mustang or Camaro there a lot stronger with the tapered countershaft bearings, use a billet counter bearing support, you can make your own dog rings for faster shifts and weight reduction, and will hold 400+ hp no problem, you’re going to have to use a quick time or aftermarket bell housing and 11" clutch with proper splines depending on if its for ford or GM. any questions let me know, I have a rebuilt t5 sitting in my shop too.
Its good to hear a WC T5 could survive, but it sounds like the thing would have to moderately built, get a shorter 5th, a custom throwout bearing bracket, a bellhousing, etc. I'm thinking there have to be better options than that? Or maybe if a shop could sell us a nice kit and rebuilt trans...

Last edited by Grant B; 02-17-2011 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Yeah it might not be the best option for your set up, the nv3500s are very heavy and large in comparison tho, you might want to look into a t56 it’s going to be a little more expensive but will bolt right up
Old 02-17-2011, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Th nv3500 will bolt right up and can be had locally to me for $800. No bell housing to buy and weighs slightly less than a T56.

Quick Reply: Budget road race car trans options?