Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Gauge STILL not working after replacing sending unit!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Fuel Gauge STILL not working after replacing sending unit!

I have a 2002 Pontiac Firebird V6 3.8L - The fuel gauge stopped working around October and I purchased a new sender for it. I had my mechanic install it, along with a racetronix fuel pump, and evap canister. The mechanic first told me that he had to do a lot of modification to get my pump to install...Both with my fuel lines and my fuel bucket... Is this normal? None the less - I used THIS fuel level sending unit... It didn't work.

Here's whats happening - and nothing has changed whatsoever either...

My gauge either reads EMPTY or FULL...no in between. When it reads empty, and even begins to descend down to empty, my check gauges lights come on... What could be the issue here?

Edit: P.S. The car has a blown head gasket and isn't running currently - I'm preparing to swap motors but I want to fix everything else too.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

did he check it before he put it in? .......hooking it up and making sure it moved the gauge.........
Old 02-18-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
did he check it before he put it in? .......hooking it up and making sure it moved the gauge.........
Edit: Re-Read ...I doubt it... from what he told me...he said after hooking it up my fuel gauge rose up and started trying to work, and fluctuated alot for a minute...and then it died again...

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge STILL not working after replacing sending unit!