LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

supporting engine for k member swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supporting engine for k member swap?

hey guys, just wondering what is the best way to hold the engine up with a engine hoist? I'm changing out the k member and doing headers while i have it out so the motor will be hanging for a few days. really dont want to have to remove the intake or anything as this will just mean more time and gaskets and a PITA... is there a good place to reliably throw a couple bolts in that will take the weight??
Old 02-13-2011, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heavy uni strut across shock towers.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Launching!

that doesnt make much sense. i'm trying to hold the motor up not the car.. plus, ill be removing the shocks to replace with kyb/bmr springs
Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

I used some straps and some small plates I cut out. bolted the plates to the front 2 header bolts and used ratchet straps from the barn rafters.

Also used a strap and same plates with astrut tower brace and did things that way with a jack/block of wood under the pan to help.

maybe not the best or safest way to do it but it worked
Old 02-13-2011, 09:21 PM
Launching!

I appretiate the replies but this method doesnt work for me either since i'm installing headers while the k member is out.. and i really dont wanna work around a floor jack holding the motor up plus i just dont trust those things for any more than a couple minutes. I have an engine hoist availible. is there not an easy way to just bolt it to thbe motor without using header bolts?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Launching!

If your using a hoist and chain, Take a 4 intake bolts out and get some longer ones so the chain will fit under them. Standard bolts from tractor supply will thread in fine, I think they are 3/8 but i'm not sure. You will want to re-torque all the bolts in the proper sequence of course
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Just took another look... seems like i could use the front 4 bolts on the intake but ill have to remove a bunch of the varius stuff bolted on around that area. also noticed the nut is missing off the stud second back on the passenger side :S seems the chains will be against the fuel rails if i do this.. hope nothing gets bent.. any way to chain to the front of the motor? since the tranny mount will still hold everything "steady"
Old 02-13-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_LTR_ETR
that doesnt make much sense. i'm trying to hold the motor up not the car.. plus, ill be removing the shocks to replace with kyb/bmr springs
..lol

Secure the engine to the bar. Car holds engine for you...

Drop k member out the bottom, do what you need to do, bolt new one back in..
Old 02-13-2011, 09:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
..lol

Secure the engine to the bar. Car holds engine for you...

Drop k member out the bottom, do what you need to do, bolt new one back in..
This is the easiest way since especially since you won't have a cherry picker in the way in the front or a jack to work around underneath...

Also if you use a cherry picker you can remove the coil and use a longer bolt and then the same size bolt on the back of the passenger side head...

Matt
Old 02-13-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

I think im going to use this method when switching to longtubes. I can drop the k in no time. dont mean to hijack but this post just got me thinking about it
Old 02-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

ok so since i have a home made strut bar thats beefier than anything you can buy, lets go that direction. Best way to suspend the motor from the strut bar??? ratchet straps maybe? these motors just have so much sh*t in the way compared to what im used to. really dont want to over look and break anything. its a daily driver so i can't afford anymore than the couple days it will be down. sorry if this stuff seems basic to some of you but i just plain don't have a lot of experience. thanks again for the help
Old 02-13-2011, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Put some bolts into the head bolt holes on the front/back. Attach the chain/straps to that. Extra bellhousing bolts work great for it.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They rent an adjustable beams at some parts houses that sit on the strut towers when pulling the sub-frames off of FWD cars. Rental is free, pay for it up front and return it for a full refund.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Why not just take a couple of phone books on a jack and put it on the tranny pan/bellhousing? Couldn't be on there for too long. I had my m6 jacked up from the case for about 3 weeks
Old 02-14-2011, 09:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
Why not just take a couple of phone books on a jack and put it on the tranny pan/bellhousing? Couldn't be on there for too long. I had my m6 jacked up from the case for about 3 weeks
I have done this when pulling the oil pan several times. Although it works, it seems like it would stress the bell housing a great deal with the engine weight on the front. Maybe it does not.

If the k-member can be done in a rather short time, I would likely do it this way.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Launching!

i was going to just use a jack but since i decided to do headers i figure i might as well take it slow and double/triple check everything as its a high mileage car and i want to take a ton of pictures along the way. I plan on posting alot of these pictures just to help others with there builds as these mods can be intimidating for the first time.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but anyone got any pics of how they secured the engine? I kinda need a visual to go along with the suggestions here

tia

andy schuck
Old 02-15-2011, 09:32 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

There's yer pic. I wrapped ratchet straps around the exhaust headers. I did the same on the '99 with the stock exhaust manifolds.

I would suggest you leave the stock manifolds in place so you can do the K-Frame swap like this. After you've installed the new K-Frame, your new headers will slip in pretty easily. Cinch up the straps a bunch but you're not trying to lift the engine. When undoing the motor mounts and droping the frame, the enigne ain't going anywhere. You are dropping the oil pan to have a look around, right?

Last edited by Paul Bell; 02-15-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
There's yer pic. I wrapped ratchet straps around the exhaust headers. I did the same on the '99 with the stock exhaust manifolds.

I would suggest you leave the stock manifolds in place so you can do the K-Frame swap like this. After you've installed the new K-Frame, your new headers will slip in pretty easily. Cinch up the straps a bunch but you're not trying to lift the engine. When undoing the motor mounts and droping the frame, the enigne ain't going anywhere. You are dropping the oil pan to have a look around, right?
I'm glad you mentioned dropping the oil pan. I've been so busy with other stuff this didn't even cross my mind. I will definitly have to have a look in there even though no good can come of it lol. Just wondering.. what do you guys recomend for a new pan gasket? should I tack it onto the pan with gasket maker first? only one of these ive done was on a dodge truck with a cork gasket.. that didnt go well.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 5_LTR_ETR
Just wondering.. what do you guys recomend for a new pan gasket? should I tack it onto the pan with gasket maker first?
Either stock or Fel-Pro and no, no sealant necessary.

Quick Reply: supporting engine for k member swap?