LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Torque converter failure or transmission failure pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 09:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque converter failure or transmission failure pt 2

This thread is a continuation on my tranny problem. I drove the car to work and it shifts just fine even at wot.......until the tranny gets hot. When the tranny is at or below temp its fine, what's up with that? Once its hot it slips to the point it won't change from first.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by lncboytre_d
This thread is a continuation on my tranny problem. I drove the car to work and it shifts just fine even at wot.......until the tranny gets hot. When the tranny is at or below temp its fine, what's up with that? Once its hot it slips to the point it won't change from first.
Sorry if I'm missing background info/ previous posts- I don't see a trans cooler in your mods list. Yank 3600's gonna need one. Got one?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a trans cooler?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Good thread about installing one, this one he installed just uses clamps for the lines, which is fine, if you want to go AN6 fittings, you can get the 70266.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...0e-f-body.html
Old 02-13-2011, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have any means of datalogging?
There is a tranny temp sensor in the wiring harness in the pan. I know the pcm can command things differently under heavy tranny overheating. Not saying it is getting hot just would like to see some pcm data.

Additional tranny cooling under normal driving with the converter would NOT be necessary. The blind belief that a high stall needs massive amounts of cooling is grossly outdated and not applicable to a quality converter like this. The pcm reprogramming you have would keep the coolant temps 25degrees lower even with the stock stat much less a 160stat, that does a lot to keep the tranny cool right there. Now if you autocrossed or road raced with that converter then yes you would need auxiliary cooling but for street time and the strip no.

I think you need some real hands on diagnosis, someone who knows what they are doing with a pressure gauge and maybe a manual control box. Contact a local club and find out if there is anyone truly good with a 4L60E locally. A LOT of shops will claim they can handle them but relatively few actually can.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea there is a cooler...pretty good size one. I don't have any data logging equipment. I'll call jason in the morning to see if he can check it out. Thanks for the input guys

Quick Reply: Torque converter failure or transmission failure pt 2