General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Antifreeze in oil or just condensation! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antifreeze in oil or just condensation! Help!

I was doing some regular maintenance and noticed this yellow substance in the oil cap and just inside the oil filler tube. It doesn't smell like antifreeze. Pics are below (sorry for the crappy pics, no zoom on my cell phone)

Wasn't there when I checked my oil last. Antifreeze isn't low and it looked like there was water in/on the threads of the cap also.

No white smoke coming from the exhaust. Where do I look first?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The last time you checked under the filler cap...was that last week or several months ago? If last week, you could have a problem. If it was a month or more ago, you may not have a problem. Still, that's a lot of crap! I'd at least be concerned while you check for all the signs of bigger problems.

In what condition was your anti-freeze at the start of this cold season? How cold was it rated? Did you have a 50-50 mix? Have you added any to dilute it since it was last serviced?

This emulsion could come from cold weather and short trips. When you don't get your oil and engine hot enough to drive away moisture from the outside air that infiltrates and from combusition by-products, you get this stuff.

Wipe it off. Check the cap regularly. Keep it wiped off. If you don't have any of the usual signs of cracked blocks or blown head gaskets you might take a few trips longer than 1/2 hour at operating temp. Better would at least one long trip. Take the long way home daily for a week. hat will give you a new base line from which to start your observations. At all times through this task, keep an eye on the oil level, coolant condition, filler cap, and what you can see down your filler neck.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 02-14-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the oil directly, if the dip stick shows milkshake, your screwed. IF its clean and just the cap, then its condensation.

Yours looks worse then I have seen but the motor oil will tell all.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its normal....get the engine ALL THE WAY up to operating temp plus an additional 15 minutes and it should be gone. It happens on short trips when the moisture doesn't have a chance to burn off. I've seen that a dozen times over the years with mine.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick responses! I checked the dipstick and there was no 'milkshake'. I have been out of town a lot since changing the spark plugs and oil back in late October. Except for the occasional trip to the post office and grocery store it's been sitting.

Gonna keep an eye on it for a couple of days. I have a day trip to central Georgia this week.

Again, thanks for the info!
Old 02-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BTTM
Thanks for the quick responses! I checked the dipstick and there was no 'milkshake'. I have been out of town a lot since changing the spark plugs and oil back in late October. Except for the occasional trip to the post office and grocery store it's been sitting.

Gonna keep an eye on it for a couple of days. I have a day trip to central Georgia this week.

Again, thanks for the info!
You'll be good. Even if you don't put 3,000 miles on oil...you should change it every 2-3 months anyway. The toxins and exhaust gases kill and break down oil. Even sythetic oil....it just can;t last too long, time-wise.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i had it too......every time i pulled the cap......i have a LS6 valley cover now and no milkshake

Quick Reply: Antifreeze in oil or just condensation! Help!