General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

overheating issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating issues.

Hey guys.. I'm in the army and just happily drove my TA from GA to Fort Bragg, NC. I've just ran into an issue though. My car is starting to overheat. I usually ran in the 180 degree range during normal driving but now my temps spike to around 215 to 220. It gets there fast too. It sucks because I was planning on driving and seeing family this weekend.I should also mention that my coolant reservoir fell off of the car due to damage from the previous owner, but I've been driving like that for months with no issues. I just make sure the coolant doesn't get too low. My dilemma is that I have nowhere to work on the car nor do I have any tools here to do work. The last thing I wanna do is take it to a shop and get ripped... anyone got ideas?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TraptLP
Hey guys.. I'm in the army and just happily drove my TA from GA to Fort Bragg, NC. I've just ran into an issue though. My car is starting to overheat. I usually ran in the 180 degree range during normal driving but now my temps spike to around 215 to 220. It gets there fast too. It sucks because I was planning on driving and seeing family this weekend.I should also mention that my coolant reservoir fell off of the car due to damage from the previous owner, but I've been driving like that for months with no issues. I just make sure the coolant doesn't get too low. My dilemma is that I have nowhere to work on the car nor do I have any tools here to do work. The last thing I wanna do is take it to a shop and get ripped... anyone got ideas?
As long as the coolant is topped off.......Sounds you have a sticking t-stat. It can be changed in 5 minutes with one tool. Maybe its 10mm, not sure. Just a ratchet is needed.

And you don't need an overflow tank, no worries. I know people that don;t have them in their cars. Just make sure your radiator cap is good and holds pressure.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

water pump making any noise?
Old 02-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The problem is probably your reservoir. Its absolutely required for the system to work correctly. You'll loose coolant without it as your coolant temperature cycles and your radiator won't be 100% full after that, reducing the effectiveness of the radiator.

Until you get the reservoir fixed, you can't really diagnose anything else.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wssix99
The problem is probably your reservoir. Its absolutely required for the system to work correctly. You'll loose coolant without it as your coolant temperature cycles and your radiator won't be 100% full after that, reducing the effectiveness of the radiator.

Until you get the reservoir fixed, you can't really diagnose anything else.
Maybe my cap was very tight and I never had an overpressure....but I had no hose for a very long time connected to my overflow tank. It cracked and dry rotted and I never fixed it. My coolant was/is always topped off when I check it. I've never seen coolant in my overflow tank before that, so I didn't think much of it to fix it back then. I did replace that hose about 3 years ago but I still never have any coolant going into it. I know this because I have only clear hose water in my overflow tank...no Dexcool...but my Dexcool is clearly dark in color in my cooling system. If I go check my overflow tank now...its still clear as can be, so I know dark Dexcool has never cycled into it, otherwise it would be dark in color from mixing with it. I always use only a half jug of Dexcool and the rest water. Works great..down here in the South anyway.

Wierd.......

The OP hasen't had the overflow tank for awhile.......this overheating just started all of a sudden.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ls6427 is right. Sticky t-stat. I had that a few weeks ago, did a coolant flush, replaced the t-stat and its running great now.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thermostat
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how hard to change the t-stat and where is it
Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SCULLYJR
how hard to change the t-stat and where is it
5 minutes. Two bolts.

Its the housing that the lower radiator hose attaches to. Don't have to take the lower radiator hose off the housing, just take the two bolts out. Take the old t-stat out, its like a push down and twist process to release it from the housing, then put the new one in. Make sure tha o-ring stays in place in the housing, it shouldn't move.

Thats it.