Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Basic upgrades = FAIL

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Basic upgrades = FAIL

Well, back on 2/02 I started placing orders to upgrade my factory system...just the basics.

I started by ordering new bazookas from Kee, as my factory mids were blown. Those came in with no problems (thanks again Ian). I installed them, and WOW! It's a night and day difference.

At the same time, I ordered a new head unit (deh-2200ub) from a non-sponser. I wanted this unit because it matched my interior and wasn't anything fancy/confusing. I also figured that with the slight increase in output wattage, along with the monsoon amp, everything should sound fantastic. Also, because it has both USB and an aux jack. It also said that it was compatible with steering wheel controls... with an adapter, fine. So, I ordered the head unit (which came with a free install kit and wiring adaper), along with a metra/axxess wheel controler.

Well, UPS delayed the delivery. It just arrived last night . So I start going through the new goodies checking them out. The delivery was made after sunset, so there was nothing I could do as far as installing everything. The first thing I opened was the axxess kit so I could read up on the instructions and get familiar with it before I start up with the wiring. The instructions said to verify with the HU manufacturer for compatibility for my particular model. I cross-referenced the HU specs on another site, and it says that it's not SWI compatatible. This morning I called the place I got it from and explained to them my dilemma. I asked if I could return the HU (which was un-opened) and exchange it for an upgraded model (more expensive) and pay the difference. The guy asssured me that the axxess and the HU would work fine together.

This afternoon I was finally able to start piecing everything together. I got all of the harness' spliced together...to include the axxess. I went to the car, and started removing the factory HU. Started putting together the POS Scosche mount...it doesn't work. Looked online, and found out that it works fine for Camaros, but not Firebirds. I was able to locate a Metra unit at AutoZone. Cool, I was able to use my rewards points. I get home, thinking everything's back on track. Nope, the unit I picked was a return; somebody decided they needed some of the pieces more than I did Well, I ended up combining the Scosche and Metra kits together. Ended up coming out great. The HU is now hellaflush, lol

I get the new HU plugged in, double checked all connections...we have power. Pop on the axxess unit on its harness...lights up. I start going through the motions of getting the axxess and the HU sync'd up...it's a nogo

Come to find out, there's a 3.5mm jack that needs to plug in to the back of the HU. Initially I was under the impression that this was just for Kenwood and Eclipse stereos...nope. It's required for all radios that are swi compatible. So I get everything buttoned up, figuring I'd give it a go tomorrow. (Just had to throw this in here...Thinking about returning the axxess. The downside is, I have to pay shipping along with a restock fee, so I'm debating on whether or not it's worth it. I may just put it up for sale here)

I turned on the stereo to at least try to enjoy the new sounds, along with the better radio reception. I adjusted all of the parameters to my liking. Guess what, the factory HU sounded better. I think it may be due to the factory unit having an actual equalizer. But those new bazookas I installed, aren't hitting as hard as they were.

I can't win. I accept defeat.

fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail!
Old 02-17-2011, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not all radios use the 3.5mm plug some use the plug some use the wire
Old 02-17-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

there is a SWI that can be used if your deck has an infrared remote... what is the rms of your deck? just because it says 50-60x4 doesnt mean it will run at that.. most of them are 17-25 watt rms (the decks version of "cruise control") on a 40x4 to a 60x4 rated deck. monsoons have an amp but i dont think they work with aftermarket decks like you would think an amp would. that monsoon system is pretty much an all or nothing system.. you cant really remove/upgrade any part of it (aside from some wiring or an ipod adapter) your best bet is to get yourself a small amp to match your bazookas and maybe a 4ch amp for your other speakers.. that will also require an interior gutting and complete wiring upgrade...
Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I believe the rms is around 12 or 14 watts. I'll look. I know that generally, factory head units aren't but like 7-10 watts on average.

Give me a little bit, I'll get pics up.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was wrong, it says 22 watts rms...however, I don't think that's correct. I believe there's another rating that bumps it down a little more.

Now that it's daylight, I can get a better idea of what's going on with the wiring. On the axxess unit, only 3 wires are required for use. A switched hot, ground obviously, and then the steering control signal wire (orange/green). The signal wire taps directly to the #14 pin on the car side of the harness. The signal directly from the wheel comes here. There is nothing from this pin forward, out to the HU. I guess that's where the 3.5mm jack comes into play.
The box itself has sync'd up with the car, it's ready to rock. My HU can't react because it's not recieving anything from the axxess unit.

I was originally going to go with the PAC SWI, but this is suppose to be easier...which in all fairness, it is. 3 wires, and it automatically scans and programs itself. I should've paid better attention to the HU I was getting. I wonder if there's a way I can tap into this HU, and hardwire it.
Attached Thumbnails Basic upgrades = FAIL-img_0186.jpg   Basic upgrades = FAIL-img_0187.jpg   Basic upgrades = FAIL-img_0188.jpg   Basic upgrades = FAIL-img_0189.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

the unit has to be compatible with that feature... either remotely or hard wire.. ive only done two of them and both specifically said the HU was compatible with steering interface.. if yours didnt say that, i wouldnt bet on it being able to.. im willing to bet the ***** who sold you the deck didnt know his head from a herpes infection...
Old 02-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

When using the axxess unit triple check your steering control wire connections. I re-pinned my harness so it would be plug and play. After an hour of trying to figure out why it didn't work and would not program I decided to remove the wire from the harness and splice directly wire to wire. Once I did that the axxess unit programed itself first time. You may want to just splice the blue wire from steering wheel to the orange/green on the axxess. That's what worked in my case. Hope that helps
Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great info...thanks all

blackram air.....I'll be pming you here in the next day or two looking for help, ok moral support lol. Be on the look out
Old 02-20-2011, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A little update...

Talked with another tech from where I bought the HU. He apologized that the unit I got was advertised as being compatible. They're going to trade up for the deh-3200ub, which most definately has the 3.5mm jack on the back. This one is suppose to have a better EQ as well.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GSus
A little update...

Talked with another tech from where I bought the HU. He apologized that the unit I got was advertised as being compatible. They're going to trade up for the deh-3200ub, which most definately has the 3.5mm jack on the back. This one is suppose to have a better EQ as well.
I have the 3200 and it's a much better Headunit. I think you'll enjoy it. Good luck with your situation.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^ thanks, I can't wait until it gets in. I'm thinking about getting the RCA cables, and going ahead and running them so they'll be already be hooked up for when that special time comes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GSus
^^^^ thanks, I can't wait until it gets in. I'm thinking about getting the RCA cables, and going ahead and running them so they'll be already be hooked up for when that special time comes

I would...
Old 03-05-2011, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Endersshadow
I have the 3200 and it's a much better Headunit. I think you'll enjoy it. Good luck with your situation.
What a difference a $10 upgrade makes. The 3200 is terrific!

I was finally able to get everything back together today, and my basic system is a winner again. The aswc works just like it's suppose to...and I have bass!
Old 03-06-2011, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the new HU.
SWI works great, except once up to speed...then it seems the buttons don't work at all, weird. Oh well...
Attached Thumbnails Basic upgrades = FAIL-img_0193.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks great. You should get camaro ***** for your HVAC.