New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't mean to start a fued, but which is better? Z28 vs WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Don't mean to start a fued, but which is better? Z28 vs WS6?

Hi guys,
I'll be joining the F-body club as soon as I can sell my Jap import and get a "real" car (looking at a 2000 WS6 Trans Am M6). I've only looked at Trans Ams and will be getting only a Trans Am. But the more I browse around on this forum as well as the LS1 forum, there seems to be more activity on the Camaros... the Z28s. Frankly, I don't know much about the car. But how does it rate against a Trans Am? Specifically a WS6? Are you either a Z fan or a WS6 fan and can't be both? I know every one respects the other f-body. But are there secret clubs that think one car is better than the other?

Like I said, I don't wanna start a big fued here... just curious

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WannaBuyWS6
Hi guys,
I'll be joining the F-body club as soon as I can sell my Jap import and get a "real" car (looking at a 2000 WS6 Trans Am M6). I've only looked at Trans Ams and will be getting only a Trans Am. But the more I browse around on this forum as well as the LS1 forum, there seems to be more activity on the Camaros... the Z28s. Frankly, I don't know much about the car. But how does it rate against a Trans Am? Specifically a WS6? Are you either a Z fan or a WS6 fan and can't be both? I know every one respects the other f-body. But are there secret clubs that think one car is better than the other?

Like I said, I don't wanna start a big fued here... just curious

Thanks!
this is just my opinion, i love the looks of the ta better and the insides are nicer. if you want a nice car to play with a little and just drive i would definatly go with the ta the reason alot of people go with the camaro is that it is lighter and cheaper to start off with because not as many options. or you could get a formula. and some people just are diehard chevy fans. as for speed they are all the same on average. no one is faster than the other. im selling my ta for a camaro because i want to change colors and get something ligher to make a track car out of. it is also cheaper.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Resident

An fbod is an fbod man. Its a common misconseption that because a car is a SS or WS6 that its faster or better than a Z or a TA or a Formula. Not true. However stripper Formy's or Z28's may run a few tenths faster than the rest. Besides most people dont leave these cars stock for too long. So that makes up for any gaps.

Now which one is better is a matter of opinion. The Pontiac's are the "higher" end version of the Chevys. Leather, power everything, better seats, standard in the TA and WS6's yada, yada, yada. They also tend to be a little more expensive then a Z28 or SS. None of that stuff makes them better than a Z or SS though. Again performance is gonna be pretty much the same across the board, stock for stock. All the stuff that makes an SS or WS6 what they are -The name, hoods, suspension, catback, & certificates, can be had for a Z or a TA or a Formy. Minus the certificate and the name. People buy SS's and WS6's because thats what they wanted and preferred. Simples as that.

I bought my car because i prefer the styling inside and out over a Camaro's. And the rare color dosent hurt either. 1 of 98. Dosent make my car any better. Except for the fact thats its mine. haha! Its like comparing apples to oranges man. Check out both cars, and pick the one that best suits your tastes. Either way, ur gettin an FBOD!!! Welcome aboard.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Z28's are much faster than the WS6's. Never mind an SS vs. WS6 ....

Buy what you like and can get for a good price. Most people say " An LS1 is an LS1 " and it's true. Just look at the #'s.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by T-maxx
Z28's are much faster than the WS6's. Never mind an SS vs. WS6 ....
Yeah but a Z24 would own them both...SO HA!!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:14 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kev98Ta
Yeah but a Z24 would own them both...SO HA!!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Tran's Am all the way!!! same power on all the fbodies but the T/A seems to draw the most attention. that is by the ladies anyway. haha what do most men want anyway "Fast cars and Fast Women"!!!! T/A's Rule!!!
Old 02-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Launching!

I would suggest sitting and driving both if you have the opprotunity. I love My SS wouldnt drive a T/A at all. Im 6 ft Tall and to me the T/A makes me feel a little cramped. I have driven my buddies T/A and dont really care for it. but its all pretty much personal Preference.
S
Old 02-13-2004, 06:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

I've had both. '99 Z and now a '00 WS6. I personally like my T/A better, because it looks more aggressive, IMO, and I prefer the T/A interior. Also, I am traditionally a Pontiac man. Otherwise, I liked my Z28 equal.

Camaros and Birds are both great. I'd love to have my Z28 back as well if I could have afforded to keep both.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you like the t/a get one. By all means they are just as good as camaros, a few pounds heavier and a few more luxeries. Depends on your preferences and how much you want to be "comfortable" in the car.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

funny you mention the interior space....I encountered the exact opposite. I sat in a Z28, and kept hitting my head (I'm 6'1), but never had a problem with my WS6. But I agree, drive both see what you like better, the power will be the same, just decide which looks better to you.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
the reason alot of people go with the camaro is that it is lighter and cheaper to start off with because not as many options
that's the dumbest thing i've ever heard. ya, they are lighter. and ya, they are cheaper. but are either reasons why i bought my camaro? hell no! i think ta's look awful, and i've seen a mere 5 in my lifetime that i was impressed with, and that was only because $$$ had been spent on them, big time.

and i'm also confused, what does "not as many options" mean exactly?

the only thing i can say is better in the ta than the z are the leather seats. the lumbar makes them more comfortable, but it's really not that different, and definetely not a reason to buy a pontiac.

as for sizing, i'm pretty sure the amount that their interiors differ is so slight that no one can notice. i'm 6'6 and have absolutely no problems fitting into either vehicle. my best friend drives a bird, i drive a 'camaro.

whatever car you think looks better, get it. that's about all i can say. all of the other things as far as these cars go are just about equal.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

They are all just as fast and all look good.....But many people compare a SS to WS6....WRONG......WHEN they should be comparing a Firehawk to an SS...these are the flagships of the fbodys...Just my .02$......If you want the best of the best look at a SS or Firehawk!!
Old 02-13-2004, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i have not liked how they looked since 81 but the firebird has always looked great
i will choose a firebird over a camaro anyday
except if someone had a 67 rs/ss camaro convertabe black/black with a 327/m21/12bolt forsale

car my dad had
Old 02-13-2004, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

i like my z28. Cost less, and well has a certain sleep look to it. I was hoping the cam/headers/ory/catback would not make it an "non-sleeper" but i have failed.

I really didn't buy the car for looks, we have a 2002 330ci bmw, which pretty much slays any pontiac/chevy products in quality, body, looks, etc. I come from german heritage, my 13 year old volkswagen has a tighter body,suspension, less creaks, better build, than any fbody i've been in. I can live with that though, because i wanted american muscle.

if i had to choose american for looks, it'd be a 'vert yellow corvette. Definite looker.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

ws6 all the way. camaros dont look as mean and i dont think they are as fast. i have rode in both of the cars and to me it feels like the ws6 pulls a little more.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

its a toss up between a ws6 formula, and a Z. I think as far as looks the formula has me hooked and i will have one soon, its just the deals i have been getting have tied me to the three z's i currently own.

Judd i love birdies but you cant tell me your car looks mean when those big goofy windflap headlights pop up.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

I love the 98 up ta's especially thes ws.6 but it really comes down to what you want they are basically the same cars with some different body panels there were several ss camaro's i came across while i was looking for a car but my heart was set on a ws.6 either choice you make will be a wise one if you like flash get a ta if you want the sleeper look get a camaro imo
Old 02-13-2004, 08:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by tuffluck
i think ta's look awful, and i've seen a mere 5 in my lifetime that i was impressed with, and that was only because $$$ had been spent on them, big time.
I'm sorry to hear that. Not many people here would agree with you though. And of the ones who do, most of them are mature enough to not insult half this board with a comment like that.

I've had them both, and like them both. Why do some people need to bash one side of the F-clan to feel better about their side?
Old 02-13-2004, 08:51 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by samz28

I really didn't buy the car for looks, we have a 2002 330ci bmw, which pretty much slays any pontiac/chevy products in quality, body, looks, etc.
That's just your opinion. I find BMWs to be nice cars, but they look pretty damn boring to me