Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2000 formula monsoon wiring??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 formula monsoon wiring??

Okay so I've searched and I cant find the answer or I'm really overlooking it..I'm wanting to replace the 6.5 speakers in the sail panels of my formula(monsoon hardtop not convertible)..I understand they are to be 2ohm..but my question is that there is a 4 wire plug going to the speaker I know the speakers are dvc speakers I get all that but do the wires join somewhere in the harness?I mean can I use just a single 2 ohm speaker and if so does it matter which pair of wires I connect them to...I would assume not since if they are connected in the harness it would just be in parallel...so theres my question...I just don't wanna put any heavy thumping subs in the hatch but I want a good quality replacement speaker...Thank you
Old 02-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

A quick read of the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section would have shown you that the sail panel subs in Firebirds are DVC 4-ohm speakers running off separate channels from the Monsoon amp. So no, you don't want 2-ohm speakers and no, the two pairs of wires don't connect to each other anywhere in the harness.

A little more searching would have found dozens of recommendations for Kee Audio's replacement speakers for Monsoon systems. They are DVC 4-ohm subs just like the OEM ones but they sound much better and are better built. Kee Audio is a sponsor here and has a great reputation for customer service but it is not his full time job so don't expect instant response to emails. You can find more info at www.keeaudio.com.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh but there are many newbies claiming to have searched when the information is readily available. Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the info..I'll check out kee audio for some subs...
I did all diff kinds of searches and turned up alot of Camaro specs I'm not saying that it's not there I'm just letting you guys know I'm not one to just ask before trying to search.and I also read thru the sticky above but must have missed it I'll check it out again...but hey thanks for the info you've helped greatly..have a good day....